Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 93 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 02:43 PM   #921
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
The major issue in panel sound production is transparency. Wood is a pretty good conductor of sound. The stiffer and harder the wood, the better it conducts sound. This suggest that MDF might really be the better choice for small boxes. I am thinking of even softer materials; polystyrene bead-board or Celotex.
Or perhaps a laminate of a couple materials. Omega Loudspeakers uses an interesting (and I believe proprietary to them) combination of materials, not unlike what you previously used. (Image courtesy of a user on Omega's forum.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omega_material.jpg (235.6 KB, 348 views)
Old 9th January 2013, 05:43 PM   #922
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
Or perhaps a laminate of a couple materials. Omega Loudspeakers uses an interesting (and I believe proprietary to them) combination of materials, not unlike what you previously used. (Image courtesy of a user on Omega's forum.)
Hmmm. My guess would be low density fiberboard (Celotex?) bonded with an elastic adhesive to 12mm BB. For those who don't know, I used to use 1/4" cement board (HardiBacker) glued to 3/4" MDF with Liquid Nails.

I'm going to try 1/2" bead-board sandwiched between 5mm plywood, using something like PL Premium (urethane) adhesive. Won't be soon, though.

Bob
Old 9th January 2013, 05:51 PM   #923
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

What is bead board?
Old 9th January 2013, 05:56 PM   #924
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmmm. My guess would be low density fiberboard (Celotex?) bonded with an elastic adhesive to 12mm BB. For those who don't know, I used to use 1/4" cement board (HardiBacker) glued to 3/4" MDF with Liquid Nails.

I'm going to try 1/2" bead-board sandwiched between 5mm plywood, using something like PL Premium (urethane) adhesive. Won't be soon, though.

Bob
Omega? I believe it's 'softwood MDF' laminated to a thin ply layer, and then their 'R compound', which is basically bitumen with some talc added.
Old 9th January 2013, 06:05 PM   #925
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
What is bead board?
Shop 1-in x 4-ft x 8-ft Expanded Polystyrene Insulated Sheathing at Lowes.com
Old 9th January 2013, 06:47 PM   #926
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Bob

What type of joinery and adhesives would you anticipate using with core materials of such different properties? PL for the laminating only, or joinery as well?
Old 9th January 2013, 07:11 PM   #927
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
What type of joinery and adhesives would you anticipate using with core materials of such different properties? PL for the laminating only, or joinery as well?
I have used PL to glue up complete speakers. Advantage: Long open time. You can put the whole thing together in one pass. Disadvantage: You need at least 24hr before applying any shear to the joints.

I anticipate a solid wood frame around all panels, like a MDF skinned door. That way, all joints are wood to wood.

BTW, I use Titebond I for all of my builds. PL would be for special cases, sort of like Bondo.

Bob
Old 9th January 2013, 07:20 PM   #928
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, I am new to these construction material terms. Bead board is polystyrene foam board - nice stuff! I will have to try it. What is PL?
Old 9th January 2013, 07:24 PM   #929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
OK, I am new to these construction material terms. Bead board is polystyrene foam board - nice stuff! I will have to try it. What is PL?
Adhesive. Here is a link:

Loctite PL Sealants, Adhesives, Construction Adhesives and Polyurethane Sealants | Loctite Adhesives
Old 9th January 2013, 09:46 PM   #930
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have used PL to glue up complete speakers. Advantage: Long open time. You can put the whole thing together in one pass. Disadvantage: You need at least 24hr before applying any shear to the joints.

I anticipate a solid wood frame around all panels, like a MDF skinned door. That way, all joints are wood to wood.
sorta like airplane monocoque / beam box then?

Quote:
BTW, I use Titebond I for all of my builds. PL would be for special cases, sort of like Bondo.

Bob
Bondo = Terry Olsen's not so secret Polyester tone sauce

Hide this!Advertise here!