Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 83 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2012, 06:59 AM   #821
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

What a beautiful gloss to your cabinets. That reflection is something to behold. Good work Spoonman!
Old 8th April 2012, 06:59 AM   #822
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
...I probably spent ten time longer wet sanding and buffing than I did building them. A long process for sure but worth it.
I'll say! They look like they double as mirrors. Make sure you have your pants on when taking pictures

dave
Old 8th April 2012, 07:22 AM   #823
diyAudio Member

Piano quality paint layers... lovely !
Old 8th April 2012, 08:58 AM   #824
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Very impressive Spoonman. An eye catching pair you got there! Dave's post says it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'll say! They look like they double as mirrors. Make sure you have your pants on when taking pictures

dave
Old 8th April 2012, 11:03 AM   #825
diyAudio Member

Very nice job.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:47 PM   #826
diyAudio Member

that finish is incredibly well done. doubt many would believe you made those yourself if you told them. they look very expensive.

can i ask, what paint+primer etc did you use? how many layers? what kind of finish have you applied to the internal faces?
Old 8th April 2012, 12:58 PM   #827
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dpastern
Well, I'm new to these forums (have been a member a while, but have never posted). I'm thinking of getting these Frugal horn MK IIIs from the Australian gentlemen (SOUND WITH STYLE - CUSTOM LOUDSPEAKERS Frugel Horn MK3 kit flat pack Mark Audio Fostex Tang Band) and have sent him a message. I have some questions - how easy are they to assemble? It's been a long while since I've done any woodworking, and I doubt that I'll have all of the necessary kit to assemble such a kit speaker.

Drivers - so many drivers. From a wee tiny bit of research, the Alpair 7 seems to be very highly recommended - I found this link - Mark Audio Alpair 7 Gen. 3 - Gold - PAIR, and I presume that these are the drivers in question (in Mark III guise). Would these drivers give the best SQ (compared to the other drivers that can go with this kit)? I'm electrically retarded, so keep it simple ;-)

A bit about my system:

Preamp - Audiolab 8000c (to soon be upgraded to a PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 probably); monoblocs - Opera Consonance Cyber 845 SETs; vinyl front end - Clearaudio Champion Level II/Rega RB300/Lyra Clavis/ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage; digital front ends - DPA PDM Series III DAC with a Denon 1520AE as a CD transport and stand alone SACD player. Current speakers are Sonus Faber Electa Amators on dedicated stands, which seem to be giving the poor amps a bit of a tough time driving. My room is small to medium sized and I don't listen at thunderous levels.

The problems are that my system seems to harden up at medium levels and get shouty and confused on more complicated and/or mainstream pop/rock material. I'm (at this stage) putting it down to the amps running out of steam driving my Sonus Fabers. I like the sounds of these Sonus Fabers - a bit warm, not overtly super detailed, but very musical with above average soundstaging.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, mostly rock/pop, but slowly gravitating more towards acoustic stuff, jazz and some country music. I don't listen to dance/trance or demand insane listening levels or humungous bass. Midrange and vocals are all important to me, as is (preferably) detail retrieval and soundstaging and "air" in the performance. edit: and musicality. I don't want a hi fi sounding speaker, I want a speaker that's musical in its nature and enjoyable (read: non fatiguing) to listen to.

Do you guys think these horns will suffice and if you had to guess, how would they compare to my Sonus Fabers soundwise?

Oh, and I've looked everywhere, I couldn't see the SPLs for the finished kits (obviously varies depending on the drivers used) - what should I expect? And how tall/deep are they (I couldn't see any published tech specs for the cabinets, but I've probably missed it on the site).

Any help/comments appreciated.

Dave

PS Anyone in Brisbane, Australia that has one of these horns in their system that I could listen to for a bit with some of my music?

Last edited by dpastern; 8th April 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 8th April 2012, 02:01 PM   #828
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post

Drivers - so many drivers. From a wee tiny bit of research, the Alpair 7 seems to be very highly recommended - I found this link - Mark Audio Alpair 7 Gen. 3 - Gold - PAIR, and I presume that these are the drivers in question (in Mark III guise). Would these drivers give the best SQ (compared to the other drivers that can go with this kit)? I'm electrically retarded, so keep it simple ;-)
Great drivers, very good SQ. A very good match with this cabinet also, as users who have built there FH Mk3's with Alp 7.3 will testify. Also works in a variety of other designs.

Quote:

The problems are that my system seems to harden up at medium levels and get shouty and confused on more complicated and/or mainstream pop/rock material. I'm (at this stage) putting it down to the amps running out of steam driving my Sonus Fabers. I like the sounds of these Sonus Fabers - a bit warm, not overtly super detailed, but very musical with above average soundstaging.
Possible, also mainstream pop/rock material recording quality and the ideas of the recording engineers is sometime questionable . I've been struggling with thin rock records that seem to play ok but kind of hazy on a lot of commercial 3 way systems, but become unbearable in revealing systems. I had nearly given up hope tilll very recently. Amp is also important, some genres do demand more power and you notice the difference once you change/upgrade.

Quote:

I listen to a very wide variety of music, mostly rock/pop, but slowly gravitating more towards acoustic stuff, jazz and some country music. I don't listen to dance/trance or demand insane listening levels or humungous bass. Midrange and vocals are all important to me, as is (preferably) detail retrieval and soundstaging and "air" in the performance. edit: and musicality. I don't want a hi fi sounding speaker, I want a speaker that's musical in its nature and enjoyable (read: non fatiguing) to listen to.
Very much same here, but also back to listening electronica (blame it on good speakers). And the Alp 7.3 can take the detail level of some modern electronica to new levels of enjoyment . The criteria you mention - the Alp 7.3 does those well - superb midrange, extended top end with plenty of air, very good soundstaging. I personally own the Alp 12 which is a bigger driver which has an edge in dynamics and SPL, but have spent a lot of hours with Alp 7.3 and really like that driver too.

Quote:

Do you guys think these horns will suffice and if you had to guess, how would they compare to my Sonus Fabers soundwise?
This is difficult to say, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, let others chime in. The FH Mk3 is a very smart design which is very nice to listen to. If you are not playing very loud, they can handle a wide variety of genres. The sound they make is bigger than what you would guess a nominal 4" driver would be able to reproduce. I have been surprised at time. I do not want to derail you from your though process on the FH Mk3, but if you like rock and pop, and would like to turn it up sometimes, I would recommend adding helper woofers in the future if you feel the need. One of the key minds behind the FH Mk3 Dave Dlugos (aka Planet10) recommends helper woofers for the FH Mk3 crowd who are looking for more bottom extension - hey he even has some cool designs for them if I recall correctly.

- Zia

Last edited by zman01; 8th April 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 8th April 2012, 02:36 PM   #829
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

From listening experience only the alp 7.3 is very detailed, in a good way. You will not be disappointed. Get a matched pair of drivers.
Old 8th April 2012, 02:40 PM   #830
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dpastern
Thanks Zia. I'm not really worried about the looks - the frugal horns look fine to my eyes, although I'd have to pick the right laminate of course ;-)

I forgot to mention that I have a REL Stadium II sub which would be used in tandem with the horns.

I'm worried about:

SPLs (I wanted something above 95db SPL and I don't think that these horns/alpair drivers will do that from what I've been reading. Which means I'm back to square one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm well aware that most modern rock/pop is compressed in nature, and not exactly recorded very well. It's a source of much angst to me!

I find that my system (amps/speakers) sound much better with simpler material - Jheena Lodwick, Christy Moore, Tsuyoshi Yamamato, Eva Cassidy as examples. I'm not that much into classical, but don't mind Dvorak, but I find that my system is a bit closed in with this sort of material. General rock/pop sounds fine at lower listening levels, but at medium levels tends to compress and become muddled and shouty - it's probably a combination of my preamp not really being up to the rest of my gear (imho), and some form of speaker/amp matching, and partially my room (bedroom and sadly I can't do much with it).

Since I suspect that the culprit is my amps are running out of steam driving the SFs, a more efficient speaker would/should do the trick in alleviating these issues. A slight roll off in the top end won't hurt either, I think it might help tame some of the shoutiness that the system can exhibit.

Commercial horn systems are way overpriced (silly money) and few people make reasonably priced horn systems sadly. There is much logic as to why the audio arena is slowly dying a death from new people getting into the hobby imho - when manufacturers set silly and greedy pricing, problems occur imho.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!