Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 82 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2012, 07:16 PM   #811
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

How is it possible that the 3 inch driver alpair 7.3 can produce this much bass? I am listining to formula 1 racing and it is just awesome!! The physics behind it must be pretty amazing.
Old 18th March 2012, 07:51 PM   #812
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Nominal 4" driver.

dave
Old 19th March 2012, 02:03 AM   #813
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2009 View Post
How is it possible that the 3 inch driver alpair 7.3 can produce this much bass? I am listining to formula 1 racing and it is just awesome!! The physics behind it must be pretty amazing.

it's not of course, all of us thinking we're hearing something special from this driver are victims of Mark's telepathic abilities

with the number of listeners world wide, how does he manage that?

silly good little bugerz aren't they?
Old 25th March 2012, 03:25 AM   #814
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Giving Kodo's Mondo Head a listen on the FH MK3 with CHP-70 Gen1. Getting good sound and BIG sound. To reiterate what last few posts have already stated, it's pretty amazing.

Again kudos to the Scottmoose and other brains behind the design. The synergy with a range of drivers (judging from user comments) makes it very convenient for the DIY community. And not to mention a very elegant, WAF friendly design. I had guests at the house a couple of days back and one of my friends mentioned that besides speakers these are also very nice "home decor".

-Zia
Old 25th March 2012, 08:15 AM   #815
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2009 View Post
They sound like they go lower than they do. I listened to some larger speakers after some FH3s and the difference in bass extension was obvious.

That's not to say the FH3s are bad: they get a lot out of a small driver, but it is still a small driver, so don't expect full output low down.

Chris
Old 25th March 2012, 02:37 PM   #816
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris, i agree. They sound very big and bass is very satisfying. I would like to measure them once to convince myself. Also, maybe they sound even better if i don't send the low frequencies to the driver?
Old 25th March 2012, 08:49 PM   #817
diyAudio Member

Definitely. While the purists may argue about adding complexity, my own experiences have shown me that, for a (relatively) small wide-band driver to shine, something else should do the heavy lifting: small drivers shouldn't be forced to move a lot.
I use a pair of tapped horn subwoofers in my system to handle the bass that the smaller drivers simply can't do. Stopping the bass going to the smaller drivers cleaned the sound up, especially at higher volumes.

Details on my sig.

To test, listen to a track with plenty going on down low through some decent headphones and then the FH3s. Ideally, you'd have a way of quickly switching between the two.
I use Radiohead - In Rainbows - 15 step - YouTube
Just watch out, as the actual bass comes in after around 19sec, so don't turn it up through the speakers until after then. Even so, watch out for pushing them too far: the cones are fragile.

Chris
Old 26th March 2012, 04:41 PM   #818
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

+1 on Chris661's comment - driven within limits the 7.3 can certainly be safely used unfiltered, but like any welter-weight class FR driver, it benefits substantially from relief of the heavy lifting. I personally prefer XO at line level (either basic passive, or full blown digital with EQ, etc - up to user) - in my particular application this is performed with a HT receiver, so XO on 3 Alpair 7s in the front row is at 110HZ.
Old 26th March 2012, 06:50 PM   #819
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Details on my sig.
Just realised I didn't include my sig.

Here it is. Definitely go for line level for low frequency crossovers - the cost of high quality caps gets silly.
Old 8th April 2012, 06:51 AM   #820
diyAudio Member

Default Finally finished the pair!

After a few honey do's trumped completing the second FH Mk3 I finally finished it. So impressed with the sound. Once the drivers are well broke in I'm sure it'll be even better. I probably spent ten time longer wet sanding and buffing than I did building them. A long process for sure but worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1_7.jpg (87.3 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg Image 3_4.jpg (93.3 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg Image 4_2.jpg (108.3 KB, 349 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!