Frugel-Horn Mk3

When measuring your space, make sure you allow for wide feet at the bottom of the FH3. They are otherwise a bit on the tipsy side. This makes them take up more space than a normal box shaped speaker even if they are slim at the top. I don't have feet on mine and I already knocked one over.

After tipping one of mine over I came up with these home brew outriggers using aluminum bars and spikes from ebay.

P5080043.jpg

I'm using the A7.3 Gold. The lack of really deep bass, especially compared to my 2 ways, kills the experience for me. I think what I liked when I first played them for a few months was the detailed midrange, but I then modded my turntable which now produces bass so deep and tight that I need to hear it, even at low volume. These just don't, and we all know they don't.

I have a subwoofer, but it doesn't hook into my analog setup, and besides I never liked that either.

I'm using the A7.3 Gold. .....
I have a subwoofer, but it doesn't hook into my analog setup, and besides I never liked that either.

I got the 7.3s too and feel the same way. A friend is going to make a Passive Line Level Cross Over for me (to use with subs) which I'll use with two amps. I'll post the results.

Last edited:
I'm using the A7.3 Gold. The lack of really deep bass, especially compared to my 2 ways, kills the experience for me.

You might look into something like the OB speakers I'm playing with now:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/274524-now-ob-toys.html#post4329057

They are much "bigger" sounding than the FH3 with much deeper bass. The FH3 is a great speaker, but for me, for now, I prefer the sound and dynamics of this OB setup. They seem to image "differently" than the FH3, and have a completely different character, but still sound great and do spooky stoundstaging stuff.

Your bucket subs look great Poultrygeist! Do you brace the insides in some way? I also like how you finished the sub amp.

Well done.

Regarding the FH3, I've never had the pleasure of hearing them but if they're similar to the relatively small back horns I've built then yes, they would benefit from a subwoofer. The advantage of back horns IMO are they way they increase 'jump factor' compared to sealed or ported boxes. I'd imagine a larger amount of air being moved (due to the horn's mouth) contributes heavily. I love them for that! But they are not necessarily bass champs.

jjcarr, I enjoy the spooky imaging thing OBs do too!

Regarding the FH3, I've never had the pleasure of hearing them but if they're similar to the relatively small back horns I've built then yes, they would benefit from a subwoofer.

Really depends on what the drivers are. I've got the prototype P_10 FH3's at home, with Fostex FX120's in them. They have very good low bass output, and don't require a sub.

jeff

Your bucket subs look great Poultrygeist! Do you brace the insides in some way? I also like how you finished the sub amp.

Well done.

Regarding the FH3, I've never had the pleasure of hearing them but if they're similar to the relatively small back horns I've built then yes, they would benefit from a subwoofer. The advantage of back horns IMO are they way they increase 'jump factor' compared to sealed or ported boxes. I'd imagine a larger amount of air being moved (due to the horn's mouth) contributes heavily. I love them for that! But they are not necessarily bass champs.

jjcarr, I enjoy the spooky imaging thing OBs do too!

Thanks. Here's the bucket sub recipe. I understand their inventor uses them with his HS horns.

Subwoofer