Frugel-Horn Mk3

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just insetting them flush after finish work is complete.
A drop of Ca glue and a thumb push insertion. leaving the wee chrome dot as evidence of their presence. An interesting moderne visual.. if nothing else

We did an experiment with bamboo ply. They were VERY noticable when used without the grill. Unaccepatably so IMO.

dave

With a precise diameter, sharp brad point bit set to a "blonde one" deeper than the magnet's thickness, you should get a clean hole with perfect friction fit - set level with hardwood block and those little mothers will never come out. If the hole a bit sloppy - a drop of white glue under the magnet should suffice (hence the slightly deeper hole) - just ensure all polarities match.

Frankly, I didn't mind the exposed magnets on the bamboo - you could always paint them with nail polish or cabinet touch up marker if really anal about it.

With a precise diameter, sharp brad point bit set to a "blonde one" deeper than the magnet's thickness, you should get a clean hole with perfect friction fit - set level with hardwood block and those little mothers will never come out. If the hole a bit sloppy - a drop of white glue under the magnet should suffice (hence the slightly deeper hole) - just ensure all polarities match.

Frankly, I didn't mind the exposed magnets on the bamboo - you could always paint them with nail polish or cabinet touch up marker if really anal about it.
I might sand the danish oil off at some point & try touching them up a bit. At the moment I just want to listen to them & experiment with positioning. I have them at just over 8 feet apart & toed in ready for my session tomorrow

Guys has anyone made a pair of FH XL? using the MA aplair 10 i think.

indeed - 2 pairs for driver comparison purposed ( ie. stock / treated drivers, and 10P / 10.3, the drivers for which it was originally designed)

my initial impression of the differences between the drivers is the best an example of driver break-in that I can recently recall - while out of the box the papers were eminently listenable - if perhaps not fully opened up - after several hundred hours of playing time, the 10.3s were substantially improved, and it'd be hard to state a categorical preference

XLs have larger footprint than the FH3s, and deeper bass extension with either of the 10s than 7.3

just don't ask for any in room measurements :D

Has anyone experimented with false corners for the FH MK3? Mine have the FE 126's but I can't place them anywhere near corners. I did find a build involving a different FH & someone had given him false corners that looked liked upright, elongated pyramids that just went against the back wall but I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas on how to make simple corners would be very much appreciated even though I love the way sound now, wanted to see what some extra bass would do.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We made corners for the FH1 introduction 8 years ago.

68413d1154931758-pictures-report-06-vancouver-island-diyfest-back-deck-fh.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...t-06-vancouver-island-diyfest.html#post977430

dave

Cheers Dave for the quick info. I think they would be a bit intrusive in my room but I probably will end up making them out of something cheap just to try them. The ones I saw were only about 18 inches high but maybe they didn't work, who knows cos whatever I typed in has gone out of my head!!!

..... There is no enclosure, not even a full-sized horn, which will keep it within 0.28mm deflection while getting < 100Hz out of it.

I politely like to point out that the Karlson has minimal excursion while producing high SPL levels. There are other attributes that make a Karlson less suitable to "pure" hifi application but that is another discussion. (I like them for areas with lots of other noise, e.g. in a pub or for a party).

I'd think the false corners would need to be sturdier than the deflectors - we used MDF for the latter and even partially sand filled one set - probably overkill?

I've been listening to these a lot since my last posts. Gregorian chant sounded incredible!!! Not sure if it's my imagination but the bass seems to have deepened quite a bit with use, is that normal, am I dreaming or am I just getting used to the more open sound these little beauties create? As far as I'm concerned, making these was the best thing I could have done for my music listening. Details in my old records are much more defined & easy to follow. The Gregorian chant was spacious & detailed and filled my room even though my amps are only 8 watts. Love them!!!

I've been listening to these a lot since my last posts. Gregorian chant sounded incredible!!! Not sure if it's my imagination but the bass seems to have deepened quite a bit with use, is that normal, am I dreaming or am I just getting used to the more open sound these little beauties create? As far as I'm concerned, making these was the best thing I could have done for my music listening. Details in my old records are much more defined & easy to follow. The Gregorian chant was spacious & detailed and filled my room even though my amps are only 8 watts. Love them!!!

:) Glad you're enjoying them.