Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2011, 12:53 AM   #601
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob,

Are you using the A7 with dual woofers for the stereo imaging or just a single sub?

And do you find the Alpair 7 to be more of an accurate sound with good definition, but not as 'romantic' for those who may be more inclined towards a good SET tube amp sound?

Thanks again for answering my query about the 120 hz.

UL
Old 14th June 2011, 12:24 PM   #602
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Thanks Bob,

Are you using the A7 with dual woofers for the stereo imaging or just a single sub?
Single sub in a corner against a glass wall and opposite an open french door. This is a dedicated HT setup that is usable for music. I have used the internal EQ, which is only 5 band to EQ the room. For music, particularly music without a lot of bass content, I use the "Pure Direct" function (straight through 2-channel -- no sub) and do the EQ on the laptop.

Quote:
And do you find the Alpair 7 to be more of an accurate sound with good definition, but not as 'romantic' for those who may be more inclined towards a good SET tube amp sound?
Let's not get into "tube sound" and restart that flame war. IMO the A7 (and the CHR-70, of which I have a pair in the shop speakers) want SS or T-amp to get a natural presentation. If you want a "tube amp" sound, then use tubes! Do remember that MA drivers are not the most sensitive around, so flea power SET's are pretty much out of the running anyway.

Bob

Thanks again for answering my query about the 120 hz.

UL
Old 14th June 2011, 04:11 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob. Much appreciated.

I'm new enough to not realize that there was ever a war regarding tube sound..... For me, these are just tools and both tube and solid state are simply tools in the box. I know that I like a bit more of the 'round' or 'fat' tone, but do realise that SETs would not work well on these drivers so I have to find that tone elsewhere.

Thanks again! All the little bits of info you and other provide is painting a picture for me that helps in my determining what may work best for me.

UL
Old 14th June 2011, 05:07 PM   #604
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A perfect tube amp and perfect SS amp would sound the same (this is of course tied in with speaker as amp/speaker/connection is a system, and perfect amp for one speaker may not be so for another)

Mark Audio drivers work well with good tube amps and some are/have used surprisingly small amps to drive them (ie 3.5 w to drive 82 db/W-m CHR-70). I'm very happy with my 20/40 watt dynamutt.

dave
Old 14th June 2011, 05:08 PM   #605
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well FWIW, SET power can range well into double digit territory, so not all lack horsepower, and even the "flea power" types can have dynamic capabilities and resolution of micro detail that are very engaging.

But as Bob says, other than to relay there are several DIYers quite content with Mark Audio drivers and low power "tubers", let's not get too distracted by that conversation.

I've played my Pensil A7s with a couple of tube amps (5W SET EL34 & 12W PP EL84) as well as a 70WPC Denon AVR, and as much as I love the combination of SET and sensitive drivers, the Alpairs come to life with higher power. Unlike Bob, I use the Alpairs in a primarily video application ( i.e.when playing music, it's not for most serious listening) , and the only "EQ" employed is the LFE bass management and DSP component of the surround processing. While the receiver's auto-set up routine did suggest an XO of 90Hz, I did adjust it higher (either 110 or 120Hz), and as Bob says, when so protected, the A7 can play loud enough for an old guy.

(me, not Bob)

No doubt any degree of corrective EQ / BSC etc would benefit greatly from as much power headroom as you can afford.

It's been rather a long time ( almost a year?) I listened to the FH3 with any driver other than FE126E, but now that I've spent over a year with EL70s upstairs and 4-5months with Pensil 7s in the video system, that should be revisited.
Old 14th June 2011, 06:54 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

See?
Old 14th June 2011, 07:23 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

I have just packed my bag, and shall join you in the run for the hills ASAP Bob.
Old 14th June 2011, 07:28 PM   #608
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

...great, while you're on the run could you design me a 6.5" driver FH Mk IV for my FE166EsR?
Old 14th June 2011, 07:41 PM   #609
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
See?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I have just packed my bag, and shall join you in the run for the hills ASAP Bob.

clearly I'm losing whatever acuity was there to start with - what did I miss?

just to further obfuscate and declarify - I like 'em (A7) both ways, but since in video application the primary agenda of the audio system is to support the oft overstated visual scope with larger than life everything, the higher power most conveniently available (and affordable) in a mainstream HT receiver certainly doesn't hurt

now a system with separate video and audio DSP processing and all tube line /power amps (such as the Deckert Ultra pre-amp and 3 or 4 power amps) would be an interesting test of the hypothesis of how much grunt is "mandatory" for low - moderate sensitivity speakers - whether single or multi-driver

dammit - still can't get those smilies to work other than by cut and paste from an existing post (on this PC at work and iMac at home - both using Firefox 4.01)

any resolution to that yet?

back to our regularly scheduled programing
Old 14th June 2011, 07:43 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

There may be a frugal[ish] box for larger units, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, don't hold your breath. We haven't even got the site & documentation ready on FH3 yet.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th June 2011 at 07:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!