Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2010, 06:47 PM   #51
LCole is offline LCole  United States
diyAudio Member

It was not my intention to 'stuff a bofu in and see what happened'. To accomodate a vas of 1.75 cf and an fs of ~45hz you'll no doubt "need a bigger boat". That will mean increased width to accomodate the driver size and line length to increase both the volume and fs requirements. I guess what I was looking for was a cabinet similar in proportions that could accomodate a larger driver. Without knowing the measurements of the fh3. I know theres more to it then multiplying the measurements by x- it's truly a science and something I admire all of your work for.

If such a "boat" couild be built, I'm guesstimating this new one to be ~ 48"x 10" x 12" (roughly 2.2sf if using 3/4" ply). Yup- those are some big cabinets. I'm confident we start really playing with the numbers a bit, they could lose a little girth and be as sexy as their protoge, the fh3.
Old 28th August 2010, 07:07 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

I know, it's my Anglo-Saxon sense of humor.

~48in x 10in x 12in? And the rest. It'd need to be a whole lot bigger than that.
Old 28th August 2010, 09:55 PM   #53
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default mini - FH3

How about a smaller FH3 to accommodate a single FE83 in each cab for desktop use. I've been considering the Busch Mk1 as a starting point, but the simpler FH3 looks to be a better option.

What needs to change for the FE83 ?

Or is this a crazy idea, horns on desks for goodnessakes
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 28th August 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:28 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

This is more of a serious build for a desk top dont you think
Old 29th August 2010, 01:42 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishe View Post
This is more of a serious build for a desk top dont you think
Not at all. I've seen OB on desks, I've seen some neat TLs (Alpair driver) on some desks, we've got Fonkens, 2-ways, Sprial Horns...we've got 'em all. So how about a mini-FH ?

Anyhow, a busy desk ain't so bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desk2.jpg (91.9 KB, 1519 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:58 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Nice desk
Old 29th August 2010, 02:20 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Yeah, this would keep me busy for months if I had one like that.

So back to understanding the new FH3 and horns in general. If I use a small driver and don't ask it to go down as low as the larger driver then I should be able to use a shorter horn with a smaller mouth. Something around 500mm high would be ideal for desktop use as it is close to the top of most monitors/ears.

I really like this FH3, nice curves, simpler construction but great thought, art and science behind it's design. If only I needed a pair of floorstanders. Perhaps I can find an excuse
Old 29th August 2010, 09:19 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
How about a smaller FH3 to accommodate a single FE83 in each cab for desktop use. I've been considering the Busch Mk1 as a starting point, but the simpler FH3 looks to be a better option.

What needs to change for the FE83 ?
Everything. A complete new design, from scratch. You can't just shrink or expand this one; the dimensions are critical.

Desktop back-horns in general isn't an ideal way of going about things; esp. not with rear-firing termini. You won't get many benefits & will likely run into a few phase / integration problems.
Old 29th August 2010, 10:45 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Been lurking for a while trying to decide on a design to have a crack at and was always pretty intimidated by the original FH, but this one is getting me excited as the internals look significantly simpler! Two questions...

1. Is it the current (early) opinion that the 126En version does (or will) sound better than the original Frugelhorn? Even if it sounded as good or even slightly worse, the simpler construction still makes it a great design!

2. Is there any point in mounting two 126En's on each cabinet for increased sensitivity? (Sorry if that's a dumb question).

Taz (Audio Philistine).
Old 29th August 2010, 12:33 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Everything. A complete new design, from scratch. You can't just shrink or expand this one; the dimensions are critical.

Desktop back-horns in general isn't an ideal way of going about things; esp. not with rear-firing termini. You won't get many benefits & will likely run into a few phase / integration problems.
Well, that's the trouble with being a newbie to these things, what looks to be simple often turns out not to be the case !

What I didn't want to consider is a pair of BR boxes, just too boring even if they work well. I may just have to get some wood and do somethings crazy.....

Hide this!Advertise here!