Frugel-Horn Mk3

Originally Posted by cbiern http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172605-frugel-horn-mk3-114.html#post3683663
The scallops being about 5/16" ?
As hard as it may be to believe, some details like this don't actually get measured, and I'd have to put a tape on them to be sure - I just set the router so that with the baffle face down, the center of the bearing on the 45dg bit rides on the "bottom" edge of the through hole.

Which, after I did a test hole, is the required 8mm or 5/16" of course! I'm so dense sometimes you could make speakers out of me! I like the pads. You don't have much material left after the chamfer and this way you get a little insurance.
Thanks for the tip.

Personally I'd spend more than $10 on a router bit for a task like this either Freud (40104 = 15mm 5/8" cut length), CMT, FS Tools or similar.

A 1/4" shank bit and small laminate trimmer would be perfectly fine for driver cut-out chamfers, but for mitre joints on approx 3/4" thick material, you'll need a "bigger gun" with 1/2" shank and router table. I use a CMT 836-950 - 1" cutting length.

Hello guys,

At first I needed some auratone mixcubes like boxes, to have a small reference, mid oriented, for my mastering studio.

And searching with full rangers, I found the Frugel Horn mk3. I was seduced by the concept of more heavier lows with horn loading. So I bought my flatpack and a pair of alpairs 7.3 !

I did put for the moment only 20g below the driver, will see with break in finished.

For the moment, it's a little low mid/bass heavy, but i'm only at ~20 hours of not at all loud listening.

Attachments

• IMG0137.jpg
    IMG0137.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_4654.JPG
    IMG_4654.JPG
    565.8 KB · Views: 530
well you know there's always someone who thinks they need more, so proof of concept and all that.

essentially a pair of stacked FH3s without the angle - each of the VWRs in separate horn, with a little extra blocking at the separating panel to isolate the LDX tweeter

Last edited: