Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2011, 01:13 PM   #511
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
The Mk3's are as much fun as I've had lately with my pants on.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:27 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Default Mutating the FH Mk3 with a MiniDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
Looks like the CSS FR125SR might work in the Mk3.

Creative Sound - Product Details

Does Tang Band make these for CSS?
Here's an idea for changing the FH Mk3 design to work in a larger room.

The WR125ST is a "kissin' cousin" to the FR - a bit more bass and a bit less treble, but with basically the same Sd. Otherwise the TS parameters are similar.

It seems to me that by using two (2) drivers you can certainly increase the SPL.

Using two identical WR125ST drivers will not require changes in the cabinet's profile geometry (taper, driver location, choke width, etc.), but the increase in cone area will require an increase in cross-section, so what we could do is increase the width of the cabinet. Guessing perhaps x1.8 (say). Logic: Twice the area of cone pushes twice the volume of air, so increase the x-sectional area by two.

"Combing" is the cry heard from the sages in the wings.

Well, because the WR125ST has a truncated frame, they can be mounted flat to flat, minimising the centre to centre distance, and therefore raising the frequency before onset of significant combing.

Bringing the MiniDSP into play could also assist by offloading all of the frequencies above the combing limit to one driver, with those frequencies EQ'd upwards to match the combined bass output of both drivers.

A supertweeter could be used if considered necessary. You may get away without one.

Comments anyone?

cheers

Doug
Old 18th April 2011, 04:59 PM   #513
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Brisso: Dual drivers might be an option, but it's been my experience that the FR/WR 125 fraternal twins are better suited to smaller sealed or highly resistive / aperiodic enclosure loads than the FH3 would provide.
Old 18th April 2011, 08:20 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Brisso: Dual drivers might be an option, but it's been my experience that the FR/WR 125 fraternal twins are better suited to smaller sealed or highly resistive / aperiodic enclosure loads than the FH3 would provide.
Chris, what's your thoughts on a single FR125 in the Mk3? I'm tempted to get a pair... hmm...
Old 18th April 2011, 08:44 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
Chris, what's your thoughts on a single FR125 in the Mk3? I'm tempted to get a pair... hmm...
Well it would certainly work, but having heard them flatulate in other vented designs ( bipole MLTL), I'd be concerned about excursion limits. For this enclosure, I'd be far more inclined to recommend the EL70 / CHP70, which I've yet to get to misbehave in the dual driver Castle microtower, or Fostex FE126En. Just thinking about it, the new Alpair6P could be another candidate for dual drivers in the FH3.
Old 18th April 2011, 09:07 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:53 AM   #517
lavanta is offline lavanta  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings, my first post here.

A friend of mine and I am building two pairs of MK3s. One with FE126en (his) and another one with C7 (mine). I currently drive a pair of Rega RS3 speakers (89 dB) with Odyssey Khartago (110W/channel @8ohms) and I want to build a tube amp to drive the C7. What kind of power would you recommend given that C7 is 85dB? Room, rather kitchen with horrible acoustics, is 15 ft by 30 ft. Any DIY kit tube amp recommendations?

Regards
Levent
Old 21st April 2011, 06:47 AM   #518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavanta View Post
Greetings, my first post here.

A friend of mine and I am building two pairs of MK3s. One with FE126en (his) and another one with C7 (mine). I currently drive a pair of Rega RS3 speakers (89 dB) with Odyssey Khartago (110W/channel @8ohms) and I want to build a tube amp to drive the C7. What kind of power would you recommend given that C7 is 85dB? Room, rather kitchen with horrible acoustics, is 15 ft by 30 ft. Any DIY kit tube amp recommendations?

Regards
Levent

pardon the senior's moment, but what driver is the C7?

As for tube amps, provided you're not looking for concert level SPLs in a kitchen and you think 15W or so would suffice, I can heartily recommend Tubelab SimplePP. Not a full kit, in that George can supply the board and small parts, but you need to supply iron, tubes and build the chassis. After a few teething problems, I'm quite loving mine.

Another option in a full kit would be the Triode Electronics Dyna ST35 kit, complete with their replica Dyna power and OPTs, and very nice chassis.
Old 21st April 2011, 01:50 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

I've built two pair of Mk3's using the 126En in 18 mm MDF cabinets. I'm thinking of trying the CHR-70 in one pair but have the following questions:

1. Is the CHR-70 a direct drop in replacement for the 126En and will it cover the holes drilled for the 126En?

2. The 126En Mk3's sound wonderful with my new 2a3 amp but will it's 6 watts be enough for the CHR-70's playing small group jazz at low to moderate levels in a 15X15 room?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 21st April 2011, 03:39 PM   #520
lavanta is offline lavanta  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
pardon the senior's moment, but what driver is the C7?
My bad, it is the Alpair 7. It was my senior moment.

Hide this!Advertise here!