Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2011, 08:02 PM   #501
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
If using 18mm throughout, parts, you'd likely want to modify dimensions to adjust for additional 3mm thickness per layer of internal parts. ( i.e. 9mm deeper / 6mm taller ) Sorry for the metric, try as I might I can't think in imperial when it comes to cabinet making - round to the nearest 32nd" is close enough.
For the FH3, page 3 already has dim's for 18mm. Or, are you talking in general?
Old 31st March 2011, 08:33 PM   #502
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kec View Post
For the FH3, page 3 already has dim's for 18mm. Or, are you talking in general?

Well to be honest, there are often several generations of drawings, and I don't always see the final official plansets, so my apologies for any confusion. If Dave has released drawings specifying 18mm for all parts, then certainly use them.

Unless they're wrong

hmm, smilies not workin at the moment - that should be an ironic "EEK"
Old 1st April 2011, 11:42 AM   #503
diyAudio Member

One thing I learned about plywood sold in the US is that even though it's labeled as 3/4 inch ( 19mm ), in reality it measures 23/32 inches which equals 18.03mm.
Old 1st April 2011, 01:59 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
PG, manly hug across the ocean. Over here it´s the other way round.
19mm is standard for particle board or MDF, so you convert the drawings to 18mm ply - only to find that the stuff you have bought is 19 thick and you shouldn´t have burned the original plan.

Pit
Old 1st April 2011, 05:06 PM   #505
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
One thing I learned about plywood sold in the US is that even though it's labeled as 3/4 inch ( 19mm ), in reality it measures 23/32 inches which equals 18.03mm.

At least on the west coast, one needs to be even more wary of import Meranti, birch or other plywoods. Our commercial millwork company consumes well many thousands of sheets of various materials a year, and in this class we've seen not only high numbers of voids, unbalanced (in other words even) numbers of plys, serious delamination of glue joints, sand through on factory finished face veneers, and most significantly to this conversation thickness variations of well over .5mm - not only between sheets in a lift, but within the span of a single 4x8 sheet. This certainly makes life interesting when CADCAM cutting and machining depends on materials to be the actual dimensions at which they're spec'ed.

There's no politically delicate way to put it, these materials are almost always sourced from "the orient".

OTOH, I've used more than a few sheets of 3 ply Bamboo by Smith & Fong and others, and while it can be more challenging to work with than Baltic Birch, I've never had any such quality issues.
Old 1st April 2011, 06:01 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

The discussion of plywood sourcing and sizing aught to be a sticky thread.

Here in the middle of the USA, all import (i.e. China) 3/4" plywood is 18mm and the quality of the stuff is from poor to OMG! Baltic birch is 18mm and the best grade I can get is BC. Cabinet grade veneered plywood is avaiable in true 3/4". Voids tend to be gaps between sheets in any given ply and rarely more than 1/4". This is my current choice in birch or maple because I don't consider the difference between this and BB to be worth the 120 mile round trip to Little Rock to get the BB. 12mm BB is available locally and this is what I use for smaller cabinets.

3/4" MDF is invariably 18mm. I have a lumber yard tha stocks MDF that is far superior (heavier) than what Lowe's/HD carries. I usually buy nominal 1"x12"x16' or 1"x15"x16' shelving because it is much easier to handle than 4'x8' sheets.

YMMV and probably will local to local.

Bob
Old 1st April 2011, 07:40 PM   #507
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Bob,

<<The discussion of plywood sourcing and sizing aught to be a sticky thread.>>

Truer words were rarely spoken.

Pit
Old 1st April 2011, 07:43 PM   #508
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Pardon me if this has been covered but I can't find it if it has. Can el70 and chr70 be swapped without modification or would I need to build some kind of removable baffle? Can't tell for sure from the documentation I've seen. I realize the stuffing may need to be adjusted. Thank you.
Old 1st April 2011, 07:44 PM   #509
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Can el70 and chr70 be swapped without modification
Yes.

dave
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:04 PM   #510
diyAudio Member

Hi Pit, same to you and you should try a pair. The Mk3's are as much fun as I've had lately with my pants on.

Hide this!Advertise here!