Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2010, 07:24 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, a little late to the party but nevermind...

For starters, those new cabs look brilliant (congratulations!), and I'm considering building some to replace my (somewhat limited) floorstanders.

Watching with (great) interest.
Chris
Old 28th August 2010, 10:59 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Could this be scaled for a 166esr? I've been dying to replace my Fostex boxes and this looks a little easier to build then the Austin A166.
Old 28th August 2010, 02:22 PM   #43
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Having heard the Mk3's, and built the orig. "frugels", There's no doubt the latest version is the one to build, IMHO.
Much less fiddly internals too--
Don
Old 28th August 2010, 02:27 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

If by 'could this be scaled' you mean 'could an entirely new design be worked out from scratch', then technically yes.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 28th August 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 28th August 2010, 03:12 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Roughly, what are the requirements on the driver?

(For instance, could I use the three-inch Omnes BB 3.01 drivers I have laying around?)
Old 28th August 2010, 03:34 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Too small.

FH3 is primarily intended for the CHR70, CHP70, EL70, Alpair 7 or FE126En. We can't vouch for other units; although we've put some flexibility in it, it's not really intended to be a free-for-all / stuff anything into it box either.
Old 28th August 2010, 04:45 PM   #47
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
CHR70, CHP70, EL70, Alpair 7 or FE126En
There are no universal designs, but...

From many of the other designs, we know that people want to put different drivers in the box (no matter what the box). In this one, we hope that we can say, "try it, it may well work". We want to know.

We have tried all these (well not the CHP) in the alphas and performance was satisfactory (if you think that is faint praise then consider that our standards are high). These drivers have a fair range of parameters.

For those who will go ahead and try other drivers, look at the key parameters of the specified drivers and if your alternate drivers are inside the envelope formed by the set of TSP then you have a good chance. No guarantees thou.

With a 3" driver you may well have to use a pair per box. Maybe i should try the quad of FF85 i have in FH3 before i install the new set of drivers into the Twin uFonken.

One thing i do know, neither BOFU or FE166eSR will work. One critical parameter kills the idea. Driver diameter > box width

dave
Old 28th August 2010, 05:01 PM   #48
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjc View Post
Could this be scaled for a 166esr? I've been dying to replace my Fostex boxes and this looks a little easier to build then the Austin A166.
I've a pair of 166es-r's an would be interested in following that build. Also curious to know what you don't like about the 166es-r fostex recommended box or did you install them in a fostex bk16?

Btw, i'm located around philly too so if you decide to do the A166 i may be able to help lend a hand on it's angled cuts with my dewalt 10" sliding compound miter saw.
Considered them myself, but don't have good corner space and read of bad results using the standard A166/lower powered amps, plus Ron Clark said they put a good amount of back pressure on the driver so not for wimpy amps. I like my 3watt Fi 2A3 so passed. I don't know how different a redesign of the frugel MkiIII's for the 166es-r would be wrt 3watts of 2A3 power?
Old 28th August 2010, 05:07 PM   #49
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I happily used my A126 without corners (near backwall), and with small amps (the killer Scott-based 3.2W el Cheapo variant for instance -- 2A3 SE & RH84 too).

I don't think those should hold you back from A166.

dave
Old 28th August 2010, 05:21 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With a 3" driver you may well have to use a pair per box. Maybe i should try the quad of FF85 i have in FH3 before i install the new set of drivers into the Twin uFonken.
Now that's an interesting idea.

Quote:
One thing i do know, neither BOFU or FE166eSR will work. One critical parameter kills the idea. Driver diameter > box width
Yes, a bit of a hitch, that. And you can't just widen it because the drivers require different things; volume, horn length & flare etc. will all need to be changed, making for complete new box designs from scratch.

A166 should be a good box for the ES-R; that's what I'd be inclined toward too.

Hide this!Advertise here!