Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 06:06 PM   #431
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

I started building the FH3. Got the 18mm BB rough cut and a 1/4" template made for the sides - that's it so far
Old 5th March 2011, 06:14 PM   #432
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I must be going mad :-)

Listening to music isn't even my No1 pastime, about No 4 or 5. I'll buy a pair of Alpair 5's for my Needles and listen occassionly, as I do in my little garage back room. I might buy some panasonic caps for my GainClone as well.

Jim
Old 5th March 2011, 06:51 PM   #433
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemraid View Post
I'll buy a pair of Alpair 5's for my Needles
Don't let being mad deter you from building FH3, you can't just have one speaker

The Needles use a 3" driver, Alpair6P would be more appropriate than the 2" Alpair5 (even if you could find some)

dave
Old 5th March 2011, 07:00 PM   #434
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dear Dave,

It would have been a nice project from 15mm MDF easy to cut for people like me with unsophisticated tools who like to do as much as they can themselves. Alas my easy [for me] to cut, cutting diagram falls off the edge with 18mm. This as they say is what you find.

I knew it was Alpair something :-)

Thanks for the idea of using a tuner through some drive units for burning them in slowly, I must do that with my little Tangbands.

Warm wishes - Jim
Old 5th March 2011, 07:11 PM   #435
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
(to satisfy my curiousity, i will now go and draw my own cut plan -- which i need for the documentation anyway)
OK, that was easy. It is already page 8 of the current document (25-oct-10). Not quite as much useable left overs as i expected

I will now go do an 18mm 4x8 cut, it is hard to think it won't fit on a single sheet.

And as expressed earlier, for all but the A7 15mm baffle is fine. If one is really worried about that, the driver can be surface mounted and the opportunity to laminate a piece of 6mm solid to the baffle to achieve a flush mount and a sexy look

dave
Old 6th March 2011, 12:26 AM   #436
diyAudio Member

My CNC routed 3/4 inch MDF build is going well. With the dampening in place and clamps holding the sides together, I popped the Fostexs in for a brief listen and was blown away. Now I'm wondering if I should have held off on buying the Zu's.
Old 6th March 2011, 01:28 AM   #437
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
Now I'm wondering if I should have held off on buying the Zu's.
Let us know. If it comes down to finesse and pure midrange i know where i'd be betting

dave
Old 6th March 2011, 02:09 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

I really want to hear a pair of Zu's... Having built simple sealed boxes for Beta 12's with great midrange results i wonder how the tricked out 10" Eminence driver sounds? I also want to hear a pair of FH3's in my listening room or office... i think both rooms would do really well with them. Has anyone directly compared the FH3 with the Hornshoppe?
Old 6th March 2011, 02:39 AM   #439
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Only indirectly. Expanded Buschhorn1 ~= EdHorn < FH1<FH3. The 1st thre wre directly compared (single blind), and the last 2 (casual compare)

dave
Old 6th March 2011, 12:05 PM   #440
diyAudio Member

Can't believe all the DIY fellows building speakers.
I'm getting a flat pak coming from Dave in the next few weeks and am totaly
excited to assemble the MK3's. I haven't built speakers since woodworking class in high school over 40 years ago.
After hearing a MkI frugal before christmas, I was blown away.
The fellow that got these MKI's has the same tube gear that I have and both systems I rebuilt had similar components, so the A/B test was easy,
so I had to go for a pair. And now that the MK3's are out they seem much more simpler to assemble.
I haven't dabbled in any DIY speaker or enclosures before, so I am a nubie.
I'm mainly into vintage tube restoration. The Eico HF81 seems to be the most popular these days and I bet I'm now into about my 20th unit to restore for a fellow
in Vancouver.
So I'll post next when I get my flat pack and start the assembly..can't wait!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!