Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Frugel-Horn Mk3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2017, 01:33 PM   #1591
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Chethana,

What drivers are you using in your FH3?

What are you finding that needs improvement?
Old 5th September 2017, 04:19 PM   #1592
Chethana is offline Chethana  India
diyAudio Member

Sorry - realised there is a typo - I meant speaker cable - which speaker cables - inside the FH3 cabinet as well from amplifer to FH3 cabinets are being used?

I am using the Alpair 7p.

I started using ordinary OFC 2.5 sq mm cables. I somehow had the feeling that the highs could be improved. I tried Oehlbach silver coated cables 2.5 sq mm. However this made things too bright. I am currently trying to use a mix of the silver coated and OFC cable with better results. However I cannot help feeling that its still a tad bright at times.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:29 PM   #1593
diyAudio Member

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Chethana,

Not to sound negative, but haven't read many positive impressions about the Alpair 7P. No personal experience with the driver though. I've heard the Alpair 7.3 (metal cone) and it sounds pretty good to my ears; AFAIK P10 Dave and Chrisb also prefer the Alpair 7.3 over the Alpair 7P...

Well, since you are "rolling" speaker wire, have you tried CAT-5 wire? You can experiment with a twisted pair (a single strand connected to each of the speaker terminals) and see how it sounds.

If I may ask, what amplifier are you using?
Old 6th September 2017, 12:20 AM   #1594
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Chrisb also prefer the Alpair 7.3 over the Alpair 7P…
It gets closer after the A7p have had significant break-in. Issures with the A7p ar eup high.

We use strands pulled from CAT5. High purity solid core 24g (0.205 mm^2/0.511mm D)

dave
Old 6th September 2017, 02:39 AM   #1595
diyAudio Member

Thanks Zman and Dave for your inputs. No I have not tried out CAT5 - will do so. Typically how many strands (24 AWG) are found adequate- say for 2 mtr cable length.

Zman - I use a shanling MC30 tube amp (3 watts x 2). Thats the background to the A7p - was hoping to use its advantage of higher sensitivity. Have had it for about 8 months now and hoping its broken run in...
Old 6th September 2017, 03:22 AM   #1596
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
We find that a pair of wires pulled out of a CAT 5 cable is sufficient. The CAT5 has 4 pairs, each has a different twist so make sure you use the same colour for both sides.

We got about 1000 hrs on ours before the top had smoothed out.

dave
Old 9th September 2017, 05:27 PM   #1597
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave. I also went through the 10 year old post on this subject also with your inputs there.

Using CAT5 as speaker wire

Got hold of some CAT5e and pulled out the wire pairs. Inside the FH3 I could not bring myself to connect only 1 strand ! So I use 4 stands for each side. But for connecting the amplifier to the FH I used 1 single strand each for the + and - after untwisting and separating them. Wow cannot believe it. The lows really open up and the clarity and instrument separations are quite wonderful. So much for all the money and efforts at making complex and heavy cables... Cant help but wonder seeing the puny thin strands and the wonderful sound they produce. Thanks Dave and Zman for this input.

Adding an AMT tweeter with a 1.5 micro farad cap to this chain now..
Old 9th September 2017, 05:50 PM   #1598
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
It is counterintuitive to hifi “general” knowledge which is why i suggest people just try it. It is cheap — often free if you just go into a computer shop and ask if they have scraps — and good enuff to get past all the cable snake oil.

Enjoy the music.

dave
Old 16th September 2017, 05:37 AM   #1599
diyAudio Member

Further updates - After introducing the Frugel speaker cables - single strands of CAT5 -there was a need to relook at the interconnects. Till now I had settled on the DH Labs BL1 between the Arcam IR DAC and the tube amp. Now it was time to shift to a copper based Interconnect - going back to a simple monster OFC copper based IC instead of silver coated (BL1) settled things down.
Old 16th September 2017, 06:39 AM   #1600
diyAudio Member

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Chethana,

Good to know that the sound is better now.

BTW, you can also experiment with single strand CAT5 as interconnects.

Frugel-Horn Mk3Hide this!Advertise here!