Frugel-Horn Mk3

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Neither of those show in these plans I just linked off the Planet-10 site:

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Frugel-Horn-v1-maps-130307.pdf

Those are FH 1v03. (as it says in the title page & in the document name)

Plans to the current FH Mk3 plans can be found in a link from the 1st post in the beta build thread (linked in my post #276 above)... follow the links (i'm not linking directly, becuase a year from now it would be out-of-date)

I have removed the plans Kec attached as they are out of date (& only a page in the larger document).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OH ok! Well now it makes sense. I figured you would have had the most up to date plans on your site.

When they get out of beta they will get their own section on the FH site... actually i'd say that builds support the notion that the design is solid. Now i just need to get the docs out of beta.

BTW: Chris & i are going ahead with a run of FH flatpaks for US & Canada. As soon as we verify shipping details i'll be opening a pre-order (at a discounted price).

And it looks close to having flat-pak builders in both north & south UK, and in Australia. I have just reached out to someone in the Netherlands. A fellow in Germany is building entire enclosures, but in 16mm MDF so not up to the minimum 18mm MDF (which even then won't be as good as 15mm BB)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The most straighforward place to put them is directly behind the driver on the outer sloping panel, but they could be convieniently placed anywhere on that panel.

You'll need a cup as you won't be able to reach in to solder terminals if you use the thru the panel posts (which i also find big, ugly & not very good sounding)

We searched long and hard & found a cup that we didn't object to much... 2" diameter hole & plastic nuts. I have them (usually only sell them with drivers) as well as CSS & McBride. Like these but with plastic nuts (i couldn't find the plastic nutted ones listed on Bob's site, but he said he got some).

If you don't mind the posts sticking out (not so much an issue with FH) these work too.

Note: PE (and probably others) sell the small cups, but only with the (inferior IMO) all metal posts.

dave

Can FH3 be simmed in Hornresp? I mean, would the predicted response resemble actual response? I would like to assess suitability of several drivers for FH3 and would like get some idea of response. Obviously, damping inside the line cannot be simmed with hornresp. Does it make hornresp an unsuitable tool for FH3?

I'd be especially interested to know whether Tang Band W4-1337 works in FH3 and also whether a small line array of 4 or 6 units of the Visaton FRS 5 X driver would work. I have single units in sealed boxes now and they're wonderful, but limited powerhandling and Fc is too high to cross to a mono-sub. I can solve the powerhandling with a line array, but in a sealed enclosure the Fc remains an issue. I was looking at bass reflex to extend, but if it might work in FH3, I will certainly try a set! Parameters are not too similar to EL70/A7, though. I have DSP at my disposal (Hypex AS2.100 digital), so EQ is an option.

Last edited:
Woden Valiant and Ron Clarke A126 should be on that short list.

Horst, pardon my snark and self congratulation but yes, I've built and heard all 4 mentioned, and blasphemously couldn't care less about whatever simulations or actual measurements of speaker's membrane movement might exist. I do however get stimulated by the emotion generated by the movement of my own tympanic membranes when listening ( to most particularly of those quoted, the Valiants - congrats Scott)

haha, made my self laff at least

whow chrisb,
what an answer to an interesst question,
do think the trust in such construction is rising if you can´t show simple measurement
every developer have had or made?

Horst - sorry about the blast, some of us get a bit weary of your emphasis on measurements as repeated above, but then I'm almost totally and emotional quotient subjectivist.

alcohol and late night forum posting can be a dangerous combination

Hello?!!
i am a hobby man,
planet 10 with you and Scott are comercial, if so you must give more info than
i can do, so no one will accept "subjectivist", thats to poor and won´t give trust
in their profession. sorry, i can´t believe that you promote constructions without making
a measurement and simulation, why don´t you show us, to show everything make sence.

Hello?!!
i am a hobby man,
planet 10 with you and Scott are comercial, if so you must give more info than
i can do, so no one will accept "subjectivist", thats to poor and won´t give trust
in their profession. sorry, i can´t believe that you promote constructions without making
a measurement and simulation, why don´t you show us, to show everything make sence.

hello in return: pot, kettle, black?

unless my understanding of "commercial" is distorted, does not the fees charged on your website of detailed plans for at least some of the designs also qualify?

just as there are presumably many satisfied builders of your designs, can we allow positive feedback from numerous builders of free designs published at the P-10 and Frugelhorn sites speak to the matter of "trust"?

as to the matter of published simulations / measurement, as much as they might prefer to avoid it, perhaps the other names you mentioned could address the matter

has it not been made clear that my contribution to this endeavor is as builder, listener and profoundly subjective opinionated pos(t)er - when I say I couldn't care less about the measures if something sounds good to me, what is there to question?