Frugel-Horn Mk3

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't seem to find a "search thread" feature.
Has anyone modeled the FH Mk3 for the Daytron RS100-8, or is it a lost cause due to the relatively high Qts?
I'm considering trying to build a set of these, but I can't find Alpairs. Plus, I've always been a bit of a tinkerer...

EDIT: Found the thread search option! No results. :)
If you have a pair give them a go. If not another +1 for the P7 HDs. Disappointing at first mine are now blossoming.

Last edited:
P7HD probably best bang-for-the-buck. It is the evolution of the Alpair 7.3.
Wait...what?
I never heard this! I thought the Pluvia line was lower down the totem pole from the Alpair series. The MA web site has never really been clear to me on the purpose/hierarchy of their drivers. Would you mind giving a quick rundown on each of the main series and what they're best suited for? If you've done that already elsewhere, of course a link will be sufficient.
BTW, welcome home from the hospital! I hope you're feeling better day by day. :)

EDIT: Dave, I would never dream of questioning your vast expertise, but are we talking about the same drivers here? The Pluvia 7 PHD, right? According the the MA website, "The Pluvia range offers high technology design and superb value for money. Benefiting from features trickled down from our statement Alpair range" and "The new paper-cone Pluvia 7PHD was developed specifically for the Japanese and Asian markets, and its response balance was carefully engineered to provide a shelved down treble and emphasised upper midrange output to address specific regional requests."
That sure seems to indicate that they are both lower-tier than the Alpair, and a bit of a niche-driver. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong model...

EDIT2: Aha!! I see the problem! I was indeed looking at the wrong model. You guys are talking about the Pluvia 7.2 HD, not the Pluvia 7PHD. Jeez, could they have made those names any more confusing?! lol

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pluvia line was lower down the totem pole

The Pluvia really messed up the way we look at things. Sorts stuffed betwen the Alpairs to push the Alpairs up-market.

CHN, cheap metal baskets, utstanding band-for-the-buck. CHx, s are old bottom of the line, but then CHP/CHRs come out in what look like Alpair baskets. Alpairs all monoSuspension moved up-market, and then the high end MAOPs based on older Alpairs and even Pluvia.

So now we have a bewildering array of drivers. But few dogs luckily. And all well QCed (at least based on my measurements)

Pluvia 7PHD is VERY different than P7HD. The P7PHD (along with CHN-70) are voiced for the Japanese market and most often do not satisfy the palette of most. Alpair 7p turned out to have issues which are hard to tease out , lets use the sale price at Madisound to show it is a bit of a dog.

The first gen drivers, A5/6/10 all had issues that left them with similar high frequency issues to the Jordans. First gen A7 was a revelation, A12 the same gen, but the big metal cone pushed to the limit, the paper version proved much better (for most people). First Gen CHR was not a star either.

The MA web site
It would be totally useless if Stefan from KJF had not taken over its maintenance.

Pluvia 7.2 HD, not the Pluvia 7PHD

More confusion since the numbering scheme has never been consistent ans a number of us enthusiastic users have confused things even more. P7HD = P7.2HD. P7PHD is also a second gen driver, but paper so given a point 1 (or will if a secind gen comes out. The A7.3 became the A7(A) [A for Arrestor), and there were more changes in the A7.3 than between the A7.1 and the A7.2 (only the now abandoned molded in super gasket).

dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well interestingly and purely coincidentally I switched in a pair of P7-PHD'S that a friend was selling tonight. And to be fair they are a lotter better than I was expecting, given the polarised opinions with listeners. They were only played for around 15 hours so a way to go until optimum performance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The CHN-70eN anyway. P7PHD i listened to all the way thru break-in, it did not have the benefits to what i did with the older 4”. There is a thread here where the fellowloves the P7PHD and shows some tweaks that are purported to improve it. I, at the moment, am hanging onto the set i have, just to use the basket fitment at some point.

dave

The midrange is glorious. Just a BIG mid-range hump.

dave
You paint that as a bad thing Dave. I have to be reserved with my thoughts as I have at least a 85 hrs to go. And you know how jumping the gun went for me re. my Pluvia 7 HDs (Metal), so I'm not going to analyse in the same way you can. But I will say the first thing I hear is a lack of sibilance with the paper cone, further I can hear a lifted Mid in comparison, but there is a great bottom end going on as well as top end. As a drummer that's the first areas I'm drawn to.

Just a different presentation is all presently? They do have a promise of a glorious midrange though as you say. As I listen to 98% Jazz, it's obviously personal taste of course. I'm listening to Jazz FM in my 2-storey townhouse here in the UK as I type, and my feet are positively tapping. That is a benefit to me of course for early and late-night listening with neighbours in mind.

I'm really enjoying what I've hearing so far, just as much as the metal coned sister version tbh. In the words of the Vapors song -Turning Japanese I really think so :) Obviously I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-11-11 at 17.09.14.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-11 at 17.09.14.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 87
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You paint that as a bad thing
Sorta. I really enjoyed our CHN70 castles, but the CHN was almost, but not quite universally panned. I the vocinf works for you, then they work. For most, in NA & Europe anyway, the voicing seems to not suit. Everyone needs to evaluate with theri own ear, i can only try to share my experiences to help, if i can.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorta. I really enjoyed our CHN70 castles, but the CHN was almost, but not quite universally panned. I the vocinf works for you, then they work. For most, in NA & Europe anyway, the voicing seems to not suit. Everyone needs to evaluate with theri own ear, i can only try to share my experiences to help
As you say one man's meat is another's leather. It really is early days for me as I may hate them when burnt in? Doing what you're doing is just what I and others need especially with wealth of experience, I myself have benefited from it numerous times. I just felt they sounded nice in practice and yes, I can hear the roll off there at the minute as pointed out and viewed on the FQ plot. I will say I prefer the brilliance of P7 HD off the bat. But that mid of the PHD is something else! It's nice to have both drivers :)

I have put a hundred+ hours on the P7PHD's now and can report I have come to the same conclusion as many others. That is as good as they are a super tweeter is beneficial. The midrange though is sublime. Meanwhile the P7HD's are the star of the show and are just getting better and better.

Reactions: 1 user
...and following up on a query from elsewhere, CHP90 goes straight into FH3 (best with a conventional voltage source amplifier). To preempt the inevitable question ;) in comparison to the same driver in the larger FHXL, it has more gain through the mid - upper bass, but a higher tuning frequency i.e. it doesn't get as low. If you have space: name your poison. If you don't have space for the larger... you can probably figure out the rest.

The metal cone CHR90, having a higher Q, is on the edge for FH3, but should work with a bit of extra damping.

Reactions: 2 users