Frugel-Horn Mk3

I'm initially going with Audio Labs DQ40S, I also have a pair of Mark Audio CHN-110. But they really need a FHXL. I'm also getting a pair of MA PHD70s or HD70s. Not sure which of the two is be

I've used this one.
Inferior to any Markaudio. It works fine on FHmk3. I don't know if it's worth at 20€/each.

GHXAMP 4"

View attachment 1102540
They look very similar to the Audio Lab albeit for a white cone. Alas try as I might I just couldn't get the same presence, detail or highs with the Pluvia 7.2 HD. So a 2 way design beckons ffor them down the road for them. Imho the Audio Labs are outstanding in the FH3 and certainly satisfy my Jazz taste with intricate cymbal work etc.

Stuffing tends to be a bit different for each room & each driver so your stuffing is right for the Audio Labs, but tells little for the P7. But stuffing will have little effect on the top.

I always put a couple 100 hrs before putting them in a box — as you start to give them a bit more welly they will continue to change.

dave
That seems to be the case. Because athe P7 was the first driver to be installed. When I heard a damped top end I popped them on a spare amp, and in free air started the running in process with white, brown and pink noise as I always do.

Popped the Dq40s in to listen. to them and the disparity became clear. I will try them again after the 100 hour mark and go from there. On the upside, after waiting to build a pair for a couple of years it was very worthwhile as they sound fantastic! On that note thanks for the help over that time period. Likewise with Scott.

Last edited:
Just ordered a pair of ESS Heil tweeters during their big sale. They are the perfect size to sit on top of the Mk3's. I plan to try my own version of Ed Schilling's Great Horned Heils.
I was so close to using a super tweeter with the P7HDs. Fortunately. as burning in continues the HF is getting very good and would have been too much in my case. Sounds like an interesting project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed's Great Horned Heils

1401080144530119.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just ordered a pair of ESS Heil tweeters during their big sale. They are the perfect size to sit on top of the Mk3's. I plan to try my own version of Ed Schilling's Great Horned Heils.
What driver in the FH3?

Ed wasn’t smart enuff to tweak the FE126, so cut them low to cut out the part where they have issues.

We had a Heil (original). They are quite good, versitile. Prefered them 2k up w less aggressive XO.

Unless biamped you need a lot of padding. Impedance is very flat but XO complicated by monopole to dipole transition.

Have fun!

dave

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't seem to find a "search thread" feature.
Has anyone modeled the FH Mk3 for the Daytron RS100-8, or is it a lost cause due to the relatively high Qts?
I'm considering trying to build a set of these, but I can't find Alpairs. Plus, I've always been a bit of a tinkerer...

EDIT: Found the thread search option! No results. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Most 4ish inch drivers work. Really low Qt makes bass a struggle, really high maybe… this one has been asked and tried and deemed good (not me).

The use of damping in the horn allows for an ability to be good with a wide range of T/S.

Madisound has Pluvia 7HD for $100/pr, they have some A7p for $50 pr (they need a long break-in and there are a few tricks), A7ms for $150 pr.

P7HD probably best bang-for-the-buck. It is the evolution of the Alpair 7.3.

dave