Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 08:19 PM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
This amp does not have a 4th order filter. Check the manual, 12 dB/octave.

Actually the more gradual rolloff of a 2nd order filter is easier to integrate.
fastbike,

Don't know if they changed it, but the one I bought has 4th order LP filter. I took a quick look at the description on the PE site, and I didn't see a spec for the XO order.

For my speakers, the 2nd order LP filter of the cheaper amp simply did not integrate for a smooth transition. But if you wanted a hump around 40 Hz, then it would be fine.

Cheers, Jim
Old 30th April 2013, 01:12 PM   #1002
diyAudio Member

The manual for the SA100 clearly states that the XO is 12 dB/octave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
fastbike,

Don't know if they changed it, but the one I bought has 4th order LP filter. I took a quick look at the description on the PE site, and I didn't see a spec for the XO order.

For my speakers, the 2nd order LP filter of the cheaper amp simply did not integrate for a smooth transition. But if you wanted a hump around 40 Hz, then it would be fine.

Cheers, Jim
Old 30th April 2013, 04:52 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

fastbike,

I'll take your word for it, as I didn't see anything in the description on the PE site now.

What I do know is that when I used the plate amp recommended in the Triska sub BOM, I could not get them to blend with my Fonkens Prime (Fostex FE127e). There was a nasty bump at 40 Hz. I then drilled a hole in the box and ran a wire in so that I could try the 240 watt PE plate amp I was using on another sub (and which would not fit into the Triska). The bigger plate amp worked just fine; no more 40 Hz bump. I think I consulted with PE and ended up getting that 100 watt amp; which worked out; otherwise I would have sent it back to PE.

This was a number of years ago, so it's possible I've got it all wrong.

Cheers, Jim
Old 18th September 2013, 05:24 PM   #1004
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

I might have missed it, but is there a post or anything that lists different drivers that have been used successfully in a FH? I have an RS-1354, a MA CHP70, and a couple of Tang Bands I might try.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 18th September 2013, 05:49 PM   #1005
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikje View Post
I have an RS-1354, a MA CHP70, and a couple of Tang Bands I might try.
Mike
CHP-70 gen1?
Old 19th September 2013, 11:43 AM   #1006
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

I believe it's a gen 2.
Mike
Old 19th September 2013, 11:56 AM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Mike....
I built a pair with Chp-70 gen2. Great imaging with almost 3-d quality and good bass into the 40s. Stuffing density has a big impact on the low end room bloom.
Peter
Old 1st October 2013, 04:40 PM   #1008
cbiern is offline cbiern  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Front Baffle Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
15mm BB is fine. It is just fine for FE126 even with rebate. It is the Alpair7, with its thick bezel that benefits from 18mm baffles.

dave
Found a source of 15mm BB in Northern VA.
Could I laminate a piece of 1/8" (5mm) Baltic Birch to the top back of a 15mm front baffle to get the necessary thickness for an A7.3? Or do I need to buy a half sheet 0f 18mm to make the baffle.
Old 1st October 2013, 05:35 PM   #1009
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

cbiern- a good cold-press or vacuum bag lamination of the 1/8" to the rear side of the baffle should be fine - probably wouldn't even need to be full length

When using the Alpair drivers, note that once the baffle is rebated for flush fit, unless he's changed them, the supplied screws (so far I've only found the non-tapered shaft hex heads) will protrude through the rear side. I'd definitely follow Mark's advise and carefully pilot drill to the size of the shaft ( I use through holes to prevent chip-outs when setting the screws), and it doesn't hurt lube the screws with parrafin wax.
Old 1st October 2013, 07:49 PM   #1010
diyAudio Member

Default FH parts in the uk

Hi all,

this is my first post. I have been avidly reading about the frugel horn on this site, having decided to have ago at diy HiFi.

I am currently thinking of getting pair of mark audio speakers, either ch70s or a7s, does any one know a good supplier for these in the UK? or is it better to go direct to MA? I see several people recommending ch70.1 , are they still available. is the a7 preferred to the ch70?

Also, though I am toying with the idea of building the FHs from scratch does anyone know if there are any flat packs available in the UK?

I see that birch ply is the preferred material, is it a complete no no to use solid wood?

finally just how difficult is it to cut and apply veneer neatly? I am a complete wood working novice, as well as an audiophile novice...

thanks in advance...

Hide this!Advertise here!