Frugel-Horn Mk3 - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2013, 10:20 AM   #991
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
A powered subwoofer may help things out a lot - and give the impression that the FH3's are bigger than they are.

The small Triska sub works well with the FH3's.

Parts Express DIY Project
Old 16th March 2013, 03:16 PM   #992
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
The small Triska sub works well with the FH3's.

Parts Express DIY Project
Interesting ... I may give this a try. Do you have one that you are using? If so, how do you have it wired into your system, and at what frequency are you crossing it over? Also, how is it placed in your listening space? I'd be using it in a 12'x17' listening room.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:27 PM   #993
diyAudio Member

Having built a Triska sub (more or less-- I used plywood and added lots of bracing), I would suggest using a different amp than the one they recommend for the project. Their suggested plate amp has a second order filter. I never found a way to properly integrate the sub with any of my speakers when using second order filter. I changed it out for a plate amp with 4th order filter, and it works very well now.

Cheers, Jim
Old 16th March 2013, 09:14 PM   #994
tlarwa is offline tlarwa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Having built a Triska sub (more or less-- I used plywood and added lots of bracing), I would suggest using a different amp than the one they recommend for the project. Their suggested plate amp has a second order filter. I never found a way to properly integrate the sub with any of my speakers when using second order filter. I changed it out for a plate amp with 4th order filter, and it works very well now.

Cheers, Jim
Can I ask which plate amp you ended up going to?
Old 16th March 2013, 10:24 PM   #995
diyAudio Member

I used the Dayton Audio SA100 plate amp. 4th order filter & it fit the into the hole cut for the originally recommended amp.

Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Amplifier 300-802

Cheers, Jim
Old 14th April 2013, 07:14 PM   #996
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarwa View Post
Interesting ... I may give this a try. Do you have one that you are using? If so, how do you have it wired into your system, and at what frequency are you crossing it over? Also, how is it placed in your listening space? I'd be using it in a 12'x17' listening room.
I use a two channel Dayton APA150 which I already had to drive the Triska. Since the 8 ohm Triska woofer has dual coils I connected one coil to each channel. Guess I could have bridged the APA150 connecting only one coil for more power but wasn't sure that was safe for the long haul. The APA150 is not recommended for bridging into 4 ohms and paralleling the 8 ohm coils would give 4 ohms.

This small Triska sub integrates well with the Frugals using the Dayton amp aka Emotiva BPA-1. You can feed the signal to the Dayton from a second preamp output or by splitting the source with Y cables.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:21 AM   #997
diyAudio Member

Has anyone with the FH3's noticed a change in sound characteristic with and without feet (outriggers). I tuned dampening material in the speakers before I had them finished and feet put on and was happy with the sound character. After finishing them and now with them on outriggers and spiked feet they sound different..... Not worse than before just different and I can't put my finger on what is actually different soundwise.
Old 28th April 2013, 12:08 PM   #998
diyAudio Member

I want to make a comment on this and try to be as fair as I can my 9x13' small room has plank flooring sheetrock walls except for wall behind speakers which is all cork. When I took my own built "MDF" frugalhorns with fe126en2 fostexs that are all but EnABLed and raised them off the floor with 1x2"x12" pieces of poplar,something I think made the speaker better. Now was it the fact that the speaker was brought up vertically to a more pleasent listening position,arriving slightly above my ears. Or just less coupling to the floor? I think both. the speaker is only sitting on the pieces of poplar not screwed or glued to the cabinet. In probably the better part of 38 years of seeking audio nirvana. these little speakers are the closest I have gotten period.................

Last edited by kevner1954; 28th April 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 29th April 2013, 07:22 AM   #999
diyAudio Member

Thanks kevner....please post a pic of your speakers on their stands. A pic is worth a 1000 words.
Old 29th April 2013, 01:35 PM   #1000
diyAudio Member

This amp does not have a 4th order filter. Check the manual, 12 dB/octave.

Actually the more gradual rolloff of a 2nd order filter is easier to integrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
I used the Dayton Audio SA100 plate amp. 4th order filter & it fit the into the hole cut for the originally recommended amp.

Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Amplifier 300-802

Cheers, Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!