How well would the Tang Band 1808 work in this cab?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking of putting the 1808 in this cab:
Dayton MTMC-1.0BK 1.0 ft³ MTM Curved Cabinet Gloss Black | Parts-Express.com
and crossing over to my seperate woofers at around 150 Hz. I had a nice discussion by phone with Godzilla recently (thanks!) in which he suggested a 1.25 cu/ft cab for these as being one fairly optimal solution - too bad this doesn't come .25 cu/ft bigger! Also tempted to use a small port with this (? rear mounted).

The more I think about it, it makes no sense to port this cab. I guess the big question is how much difference losing .25 cu/ft will make to the performance of the speaker above the low bass frequency spectrum. I'm assuming I'll have some minimal gain in using a slightly smaller cab from the standpoint of improved rigidity of the cabinet walls. My understanding is that deviations from an optimal volume are not all that critical in a sealed cab design.

Hi Racket Scientist, that box won't work because the TB driver is wider than the baffle of the box. I checked the spec sheets and see the TB is 224mm (nearly 9") wide and the cabinet baffle is only 192mm (about 7.5"). Unfortunately it's not going to work. But using a 1cf sealed box with this driver should work fine along with some kind of bass help. The driver has a clean, natural and lively sound but it's a little larger in size than a typical 8" driver. I found out after purchasing that it did not fit the 'standard' sized 8" hole of the Pioneer B20.

Godzilla

I'm not sure we're looking at the same thing. On the spec sheet I looked at the baffle is 228.6 at the widest. Admittedly its a very tight fit, and the edges of the speaker flange will not be flush with the rounded sides of the baffle. I had planned to route out the front to allow the flange to be flush with the front of the baffle (front loaded).
Here's the spec sheet I was looking at:
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/302-751s.pdf

Inside dimensions are 192mm.....driver is 190 mm+/- through hole......not good! Drivers like this need some breathing room. The close proximity to the side walls will make damping near impossible and undoubtedly minimize the potential this driver is capable of. Look for a cabinet 12" wide external.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.