Karlson tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
During my research about the Karlson theory that bring me to this forum I've read about Mr. Baker, unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure to meet Him, I'm sure that he was not only a very enthusiastic audio fanatic but also a good person. I'll take a look at the topic You suggest me, but the question remain open :)
Thanks!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi gents, I'm Lorenzo from Italy. Sorry for to resume such old topic but I'm trying to find some information about the karlson concept and except the patent and the article of Mr. poppe named "The K-Coupler, a new acoustical impedance transformer" i wasn't able to find any other useful things. Some post before You where talking about a "Wing calculator" for the frontal cutout, can You please give me more detailed infos about that? I was looking also for that "Greg's Karlson forum" but I wasn't able to find anything! Thanks in advance!!!

Look in the Speaker that Kicks Butt in Large Spaces thread. There is some theory there and the description of the models that I have developed to describe the Karlson. It is essentially a 6th order or weak 8th order series bandpass speaker with an aperiodic K aperture coupler on the front to merge the bass and direct radiation via an acoustic lens. The K aperture proves impedance matching to the air and wide dispersion. The shape of narrow top is where the most impact is - the curve shape below less important. It could almost be a straight line or a series of staircase steps and it would still work.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/237948-speaker-kicks-butt-large-spaces.html

Scaling the K15 is of limited success. What I have found is that one can model the K15 from the basis of 6th order series band pass topology and basically design a K for almost any size driver that reaches deep bass. It is called the XKi and described in the thread with the same name.

More info here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/268524-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass.html

Last edited:
I've got pairs of P-Audio SN10C and Kappa12A, singles of P-Audio BM12CXA, Peavey SC12, and a Community 12" with funky pleated surround

all of these are probably best suited for punch tuning - I'd like something to sound good and klobber a horn

IIRC, in a previous post, you determined that the 10" P-Audio SN10C coax would work to 100Hz pretty flat and down to ~80Hz in a 0.55 scale K15 (for use with a sub) - that might be welcome

is there an XKi for Kappa12A to "beat" the 0.8 scale K15?

I should set up a mono system with one of these singles in some sort of K

Community buyout woofer
Resonant Frequency (Fs)51.81 Hz DC Resistance (Re)4.73 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)1.65 mH Mechanical Q (Qms)7.34
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.27 Total Q (Qts)0.26
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)3.19 ft.³ Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.21 mm/N
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)45.97g Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)3.5mm

Kappa12 A
Resonant Frequency (Fs)45 Hz DC Resistance (Re)5.41 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.77 mHMechanical Q (Qms)7.76
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.28 Total Q (Qts)0.27
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)3.96 ft.³ Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.30 mm/N
BL Product (BL)15.2 Tm Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)42g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)3.2 mm Surface Area of Cone (Sd)519.5 cm²

predicted response in a 0.8 X K15
439615d1411312499-speaker-kicks-butt-large-spaces-k15v3e-kappa12a-0.8x-scale-freq-1m.png

Peavey SC12
Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter12"Power Handling (RMS)650 Watts
Power Handling (max)1300 Watts Impedance8 ohms
Frequency Response50 to 3,500 Hz Sensitivity96.9 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter4"
Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs)56.1 Hz DC Resistance (Re)5.43 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.36 mH Mechanical Q (Qms)9.51
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.45 Total Q (Qts)0.43
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)1.93 ft.³ Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.14 mm/N
BL Product (BL)15.13 Tm Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)50.7g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)4.7 mm Surface Area of Cone (Sd)520 cm²
P-Audio BM12CXA
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 55 Hz
Impedance (Re) 5.6 ohms
Mechanical Q (Qms) 8.19
Electrical Factor(Qes) .44
Total Q (Qts) .41
Comp. Equivelant Vol. (Vas)
3.67 ft3 / 104 Liters
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 3 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) .051 m2
BL Factor (BL) 15.91 T-M
P-Audio SN10C
coaxial speaker
diameter in / 10/254 mm
Power RMS (W) 200
resistance (ohms) 8
resonant frequency Fs (Hz) 67.3
Sensitivity 1 W / m (dB) 94
overall quality factor Qts 0,455
equivalent volume Vas (l) 27.2
maximum displacement Xmax (mm) 2.8
Frequency range (Hz) 65-20000
diameter of the coil (in) 2,5
neodymium magnet material
HF driver (in) 1
Weight (kg) 3.1

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.