fostex FE168EZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FE168EZ Fostex

Hi Woody

Thank you for your reply.

I have two beautiful 15 litre boxes with cheap skytronic 6.5 inch full rangers in it operating without a baffle step correction circuit about 20 cm from the rear wall. Now this was a surprise to me experiencing my first full range sound.

Keeping the placement of the boxes and no baffle step correction in mind, how about this fostex driver FF165K in it? Or can you perhaps recommend me another driver of Fostex that might work in the 15 litre boxes.

Thanx

>>> In other words you will have no power handeling to speak of and no bass.

LOL. Yes, that's a small box for any of the 6.5" Fostex you are considering. I put a pair of older style 168s into a 15l box and there was no bass and it had a very thin sound overall.

Check the hole sizes and maybe you can put something like this into those boxes:

Vifa A16CG-21-04 6-1/2" Coaxial Speaker w/Audax Tweeter | Parts-Express.com

Just a suggestion. I don't think you will have good results with Fostex 6.5 inchers, sorry.

Godzilla

>>> In other words you will have no power handeling to speak of and no bass.

LOL. Yes, that's a small box for any of the 6.5" Fostex you are considering. I put a pair of older style 168s into a 15l box and there was no bass and it had a very thin sound overall.

Check the hole sizes and maybe you can put something like this into those boxes:

Vifa A16CG-21-04 6-1/2" Coaxial Speaker w/Audax Tweeter | Parts-Express.com

Just a suggestion. I don't think you will have good results with Fostex 6.5 inchers, sorry.

Godzilla

agreed - at least none of the current production models

discontinue FE127E works very well in slightly less than this volume with resistive slot ports (it's a fonken miracle :eek: ) or maybe even 167E (the latter would likely have preternaturally high but very smuv bass rolloff)

6.5" full range fostex

Thank you guys!

Verdict, 15 L infinite + fostex 6.5" = no,no for a decent frequency responce especially the lows:(

Lets take the same box and put a port in it, might this work? If so what should be the size and length of the port?

Please note that I would not like to use a subwoofer or a baffle step correction circuit.

Thanks again

>>> Lets take the same box and put a port in it, might this work?

Adding a port won't make much difference at all.

>>> I have a nice pair in sealed boxes, and they are some of the best midrange drivers I have heard.

Then it's a threeway... and yes, i enjoy mine! Potentially the Fostex 168z in a sealed box or even on an open baffle plus a helper tweeter and woofer will produce great sound!

Godzilla

Please note that I would not like to use a subwoofer or a baffle step correction circuit.

An example of the kind of box required to get a fullrange response with that driver is the Austin A166: Ron Clarke Horns

Not a simple box, but that's the type of box required. The bass doesn't hit you in the gut, but it goes really low (definitely below 40Hz). (Serenechaos built them, not me, so the hassle was pretty minimal in my case.)

This is my last hope of a six incher that might work. Please look at the specs:
L026B
Black 166mm 50W 8 Ohm Full Range Round Speaker
Full range driver. Foam rubber edged paper cone with a 25mm (1") aluminium voice coil.
Colour Black
Dimensions (mm) 76x165x165mm
Weight (kg) 1.27 kg
Resonant Frequency (Hz) 38Hz
Magnet Weight (oz) 0.57kg
Impedance (Ohms) 8Ohm
Sensitivity (dB) 94dB
Peak Music Power (W) 60W
Power RMS (W) 45W
Frequency Response (Hz) 56-20000Hz
Diameter (mm) 165mm

If this will not work will someone perhaps suggest a 5.25"

Thanx

Are you trying to re-use the 15-liter boxes you mentioned above? You can avoid a circuit but it requires knowledge of lots of (not yet stated) variables, like baffle width, boundary conditions, amp's damping factor.

You may be able to re-use your 15-liter boxes (with no circuit) by calculating a port that puts a bump in the response where it's needed (around baffle step). It requires some careful design but can be done in some cases.

If you don't need the mid-90's sensitivity, and love bass, I'd recommend the Jordan JX92S or Mark Audio Alpair 10, both of which can go in small-ish ported (or even sealed) boxes. The JX92S has an established 11-liter design. With any ported box, though, you still have to protect the driver from over-excursion. And the width of the baffle is still a factor.

But judging from the drivers you're asking about, it sounds like you want that high sensitivity? The price to pay for high-sensitivity drivers and a full-response and no circuit is a bigger box (specifically, a horn).

Incidentally, your driver params are lacking Qts and Vas, I believe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.