Using one full range in front and one in back - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2010, 01:42 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Assuming the cabinet is designed accounting for the dramatically different parameters of the drivers, and the units themselves are sympathetically voiced, yes.
Old 17th August 2010, 04:16 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Be pretty easy to find out what works best once you make them. On ours (that Chris' wife has) they work well with no filters

dave

The system that Dave cites is certainly another example of synergy (or lack thereof) between FR drivers and amp - for the best part of the first year these were driven by a generic Sony stereo receiver (25-30WPC?) and sounded pleasant enough.

But on a whim a few months ago over a long weekend, I dragged a couple of my tube amps (neither with more than approx 1/8th the power of the Sony) into the system, and while I could anticipate the results, my wife's reaction was the big surprise - "oh, honey that's much fuller - you can leave it in" (how often does one hear that after 37yrs together? )

The EL70 certainly has a warmth and texture to its lower mid bass that I personally find missing from the CHR70, and in this particular configuration (second driver upfiring) we found no need for any BSC/EQ or other filtering.
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:09 PM   #13
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The system that Dave cites is certainly another example of synergy (or lack thereof) between FR drivers and amp - for the best part of the first year these were driven by a generic Sony stereo receiver (25-30WPC?) and sounded pleasant enough.

But on a whim a few months ago over a long weekend, I dragged a couple of my tube amps (neither with more than approx 1/8th the power of the Sony) into the system, and while I could anticipate the results, my wife's reaction was the big surprise - "oh, honey that's much fuller - you can leave it in" (how often does one hear that after 37yrs together? )

The EL70 certainly has a warmth and texture to its lower mid bass that I personally find missing from the CHR70, and in this particular configuration (second driver upfiring) we found no need for any BSC/EQ or other filtering.
Uh, wait, did you mean to say the sound was different due to using 4 speakers instead of 2 or because you used a tube amp?
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:36 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
Uh, wait, did you mean to say the sound was different due to using 4 speakers instead of 2 or because you used a tube amp?

the latter

in the year and half since the quoted post, this system has had Tubelab SimpleP/P ( EL84 pentode) - a great little amp - I've thought about trying something like a Hypex class D, but just can't get a chubby for it

Hide this!Advertise here!