First time speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,
What would be the best type of speaker to build for a first time project?
I'm currently studying sound design technology at uni, I'm just about to enter my final year. I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.
But I dont really know where to start, or what would be the best type.
Thanks in advance
Roxy

Something really big with lots of subwoofers, woofers, midranges and tweeters.

but this being the Full Range Forum, we'd have to suggest a line array of 25 Alpair 5 per side, or such :eek:

Roxy, it would be easier for us if you outline a few things first. We need to know about your musical taste, loudness, room size, amplifiers, box size, budget and the all important SAF.
what he said ;)

Something simple and inexpensive, but still has high potential for sounding halfway decent. Go for a sealed two way with a 1.5" tweeter and a 6~8" woofer.

I'm currently studying sound design technology... I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.

"Senior project" suggests you ought to be exploring something above the basics. Are you trying to develop your woodworking skills, while applying some math and theory? Study the horn loading theory, then design and build a folded one. Do your interests lean more towards circuits? Build a multi-way, and design a crossover network (there's another forum for that). What exactly does "sound design technology" mean? Is that sound systems for commercial venues? Maybe you should be researching line arrays. Does "technology" imply the less common speaker designs? Can you build a DIY planar loudspeaker (either magnetic or electrostatic)?

Hey,
I'm currently studying sound design technology at uni, I'm just about to enter my final year. I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.
But I dont really know where to start, or what would be the best type.
Thanks in advance
Roxy
Wouldn't it be best to start with what you have learned in your studies? Perhaps you could come up with some general principles that you wish to apply to the design of your project and what the result might look like. Then come back and ask for help with the practical aspects of design and construction.

Not only will that contribute more to your education, but it will probably also generate a much more enthusiastic response from the people on this board than the standard "What should I build?" question.

I did something simmilar in my final Degree show year -

3638044853_37cf2346f3_z.jpg

3638049871_424c866651.jpg

3667098657_6ae824528a_z.jpg

Can work quite well, but i had to have a lot of aestetic design as well as the proven acoustic deisgn.

Yes its a pair of Veravox 5S in Bipole, simple 20Litre Ported box on a laminated plywood stand.

It worked well in the degree show, as they were playing music (hooked up to an amp behind the display) and was quite different to the ususal car concepts. There was another project a good while back now, of someone else who did a Front Horn Loaded fullranger and active bass, cant remember his name.

Last edited:
Roxy, it would be easier for us if you outline a few things first. We need to know about your musical taste, loudness, room size, amplifiers, box size, budget and the all important SAF.

My music taste is anything rocky, loudness, i like things loud lol the rest tbh i dont know I've never done anything like this before.

"sound design technology" mean? Is that sound systems for commercial venues? Maybe you should be researching line arrays. Does "technology" imply the less common speaker designs? Can you build a DIY planar loudspeaker (either magnetic or electrostatic)?

sound design is alot of things. It covers the basic music tech stuff, recording/ writing music etc, its how sound works and how its created, its also to do with sound designers and foley artist which do the sounds effects for films tv radio etc. Its any thing really to do with sound.

Wouldn't it be best to start with what you have learned in your studies? Perhaps you could come up with some general principles that you wish to apply to the design of your project and what the result might look like. Then come back and ask for help with the practical aspects of design and construction.

We've not looked at building speakers or any electrical stuff, I've already spoken to a tutor who said its fine to do as doing something off your own back will get you better marks than doing an album which 90% of the students do. I also want to push my self im just not sure where to start.

At my uni there has been only 5 speakers built and none by a female, I got till may to design and build it etc but already feels like to much. but i want to give it a shot first I want to push myself instead of doing something i know i can do.

Cheers
Roxy

Making a decent speaker with multiple drivers gets expensive very fast. Making a crossover isn't easy. So try a fullrange first. My first speaker was very inexpensive. I used Visaton's FR10 HM and FR8

FR 10 Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

FR8
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

I got a good result from it. Only the +18kHz and -200Hz insn't that good anymore(75dB). But I put them together for €70/US $90 (for 2 floorstanding speakers) so I can't complain.
You should check out Boxsim too. It's a German program by Visaton to calculate your enclosures and see your freq responses. There is a nice topic on Diyaudio that explains this program => use search feature.

Hope this helped.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.