fostex FE206En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi does anyone know of any differences between a FE206E and a FE206En? I was on a fostex rave site and they were boasting the newer FE206E had better travel for bass reflex cabinets which sounds good for me! now there is the FE206En. Is this just an upgrade in coding, or a change in design. Some wisdom from you good People would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you've been on the Common Sense Audio site. ;)

Nominally a change in design; Xmax is down to 0.8mm from 1.5mm (although there are rumours that this is more accurately reflecting the reality of the old unit too) plus some other changes.

The 206 isn't a ideal unit for a BR though unless you get some series resistance on it, or use with a high output impedence amp.

So....would the FE206En still be suitable for the Dallas II?

thanks..

It's probably as safe a bet as any back loaded design for extracting smooth bandwidth extension/ efficiency from the mentioned driver.

Just be aware that "back loaded horn" (as opposed to front loaded) designs for larger drivers tend to larger dimensions themselves - whether they be simple builds such as BIB, or more elaborate such as the Dallas, or Scott's own Sachiko. They can certainly provide increased LF extension, image scale, dynamics and shear output over designs for smaller drivers, but often require increased listening distances for integration of the combined output direct from driver and the horn mouth(s). In addition, to some ears the 8" and above might need tweeters.

It's rather a big step up from the FE108E Sigma to an 8", and from my own experience, you might well miss some of the intimacy and finely textured midrange detail at which the smaller drivers excel.

Hi does anyone know of any differences between a FE206E and a FE206En? I was on a fostex rave site and they were boasting the newer FE206E had better travel for bass reflex cabinets which sounds good for me! now there is the FE206En. Is this just an upgrade in coding, or a change in design. Some wisdom from you good People would be much appreciated.
by post #11 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-present-inwall-subwoofer-esl-dynamicl-2.html
I have listed the differences.
Both the old and new version are actually suited for horn constructions. But I use this both full range driver also for vented boxes (bass reflex chamber) arround 100 liters. I prefer so called "Boom-Box" alignments - go to the URLs
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...wAg#v=onepage&q="Boom-Box" alignments&f=false
and
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...wAQ#v=onepage&q="Boom-Box" alignments&f=false

Thus I need therefore an additional passive network with four components - two resistors, one air coil/inductor and one MKP-capacitor - for attenuate arround the tuned frequency aera.
By simulation of the FE206EN I get the showed values from the attachment. In real live this values often different, dependend of the location in the listening room (e. g. dimension of the room surface and distance to both the rear and side walls).
The showed simulation is made for use without subwoofer. If a subwoofer is available, I can shift the -6db cut-off frequency upwards (e. g. 70Hz, 80Hz or higher, if wanted).
Additional I can realize various roll-off characteristics (e. g. BE-V, BU-V, BU-VI, CH-V and CH-VI) without additional passive components.

Attachments

• Fostex FE206EN 100Lvent d20-l17-12R-200uF-27mH-11R sim. freq.resp.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 102,420
  • Fostex FE206EN 100Lvent d20-l17-12R-200uF-27mH-11R sim. freq.resp-II.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Fostex FE206EN 100Lvent d20-l17-12R-200uF-27mH-11R target (purpur) vs sim (blue).pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Fostex FE206EN 100Lvent d20-l17-12R-200uF-27mH-11R schema.pdf
    4.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Fostex FE206EN 100Lvent d20-l17-12R-200uF-27mH-11R parameter.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.