fostex FE206En - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2010, 12:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default fostex FE206En

Hi does anyone know of any differences between a FE206E and a FE206En? I was on a fostex rave site and they were boasting the newer FE206E had better travel for bass reflex cabinets which sounds good for me! now there is the FE206En. Is this just an upgrade in coding, or a change in design. Some wisdom from you good People would be much appreciated.
Old 10th August 2010, 09:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you've been on the Common Sense Audio site.

Nominally a change in design; Xmax is down to 0.8mm from 1.5mm (although there are rumours that this is more accurately reflecting the reality of the old unit too) plus some other changes.

The 206 isn't a ideal unit for a BR though unless you get some series resistance on it, or use with a high output impedence amp.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:03 AM   #3
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

How about the new FE206En in the FE208ESigma BLH enclosure, the recommended one? There a rumors that it would sound lovely...
I'm asking because I'm thinking about upgrading from my FE108ESigma in the recommended enclosure to something bigger.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't know about 'lovely' but it should work well enough. I'd be more inclined toward Ron's Dallas II myself, if you've an accurate mitre-saw / jig so you can cut the various angles.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So....would the FE206En still be suitable for the Dallas II?

thanks..
Old 26th August 2010, 01:48 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDRCanada View Post
So....would the FE206En still be suitable for the Dallas II?

thanks..
It's probably as safe a bet as any back loaded design for extracting smooth bandwidth extension/ efficiency from the mentioned driver.

Just be aware that "back loaded horn" (as opposed to front loaded) designs for larger drivers tend to larger dimensions themselves - whether they be simple builds such as BIB, or more elaborate such as the Dallas, or Scott's own Sachiko. They can certainly provide increased LF extension, image scale, dynamics and shear output over designs for smaller drivers, but often require increased listening distances for integration of the combined output direct from driver and the horn mouth(s). In addition, to some ears the 8" and above might need tweeters.

It's rather a big step up from the FE108E Sigma to an 8", and from my own experience, you might well miss some of the intimacy and finely textured midrange detail at which the smaller drivers excel.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cone head View Post
Hi does anyone know of any differences between a FE206E and a FE206En? I was on a fostex rave site and they were boasting the newer FE206E had better travel for bass reflex cabinets which sounds good for me! now there is the FE206En. Is this just an upgrade in coding, or a change in design. Some wisdom from you good People would be much appreciated.
by post #11 about
Ultimate Solution for an User with already present "InWall" Subwoofer:ESL or dynamicL
I have listed the differences.
Both the old and new version are actually suited for horn constructions. But I use this both full range driver also for vented boxes (bass reflex chamber) arround 100 liters. I prefer so called "Boom-Box" alignments - go to the URLs
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=L...nments&f=false
and
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1...nments&f=false

Thus I need therefore an additional passive network with four components - two resistors, one air coil/inductor and one MKP-capacitor - for attenuate arround the tuned frequency aera.
By simulation of the FE206EN I get the showed values from the attachment. In real live this values often different, dependend of the location in the listening room (e. g. dimension of the room surface and distance to both the rear and side walls).
The showed simulation is made for use without subwoofer. If a subwoofer is available, I can shift the -6db cut-off frequency upwards (e. g. 70Hz, 80Hz or higher, if wanted).
Additional I can realize various roll-off characteristics (e. g. BE-V, BU-V, BU-VI, CH-V and CH-VI) without additional passive components.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th December 2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

supplement to the last post concerning BB4 and SBB4:
BB4 Loudspeaker Analysis
W. J. J. Hoge Electroacoustics
Bullocks on Boxes - book description
Bullock on boxes - Robert M. Bullock, Robert White - Google Books

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th December 2011 at 11:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!