Half Chilli Chang-Fostex FE167e

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi well ive decided to get the 167e drivers as these seem to have alot of good reviews, as im looking for something not to opposing (have a wife) and after help and advice from various members I think the half chilli chang, is the best enclosure for me, a few question have arisen,
1, is the mouth deflector better as stepped or smooth one piece ?
2, dampening ?
3, whats the cut out for the holey driver brace to sit tight behind driver magnet ?
4, 30mm minimum for side brace, what would best the best size ?
Many thanks, alot of question I know but my first project i will upload some pictures as I start, sorry one more question, is a super tweeter recommended for this design if so which one and and is it better free standing of being built into the box, if built in which wat firering as the speaker will be close to a rear wall. I was thinking may upwards (former isobaric owner.), or 45 degrees any suggestion or thought will be appriciated,once again cheers phil

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1, is the mouth deflector better as stepped or smooth one piece ?
2, dampening ?
3, whats the cut out for the holey driver brace to sit tight behind driver magnet ?
4, 30mm minimum for side brace, what would best the best size ?
5 is a super tweeter recommended for this design

1/ it matters little
2/ damp like a bass reflex. line at least 3 of the faces. I usually use a little less on all 6 faces
3/ the holey brace should be tight against the magnet (but not so tight as to stress the basket). It's primamry purpose is to shunt vibrational energy from the driver to the other panels it is connected to. Secondary is to brace the cabinet.
4/ as illustrated in the half-chili the (optional) side brace is a brace, needs to be deep enuff to provide substantial stiffness but not so deep as to provide an early reflective surface for back waves off the driver.

An alternative is a scheme as illustrated in this Maiko visualization (note -- the triangle in Maiko is over-large):

MaikoS-holeyBrace.gif

Maiko-No1-insides.jpg

5/ some people like a tweeter, i personally haven't felt a need on any of our FE167 builds.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.