Any luck with 6x8 car speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of making a pair of portable speakers using 6x8 speakers (kind with the built in coax tweeter). Problem is, there are no T/S parameters published for several I looked at. Has anyone played around with an enclosure for these? What works usually works better? sealed, ported? Box size?

I was looking at the basic Pioneers or some other budget brands. I guess they are all about the same.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Most 6x8 or 6x9 are infinite baffle type as they were designed to mount to a parcel shelf in a trunk so putting them in a box tends to make the upper mid bass/lower midrange peak and that doesn't sound very good. If you want to put them in a box then try a ported design. A real large box would be best but then that doesn't become very portable.

Thanks guys. I'll probably scratch that plan. I'll probably go back to a two way layout. What I need is something with 4 ohms, around 92db 1w/1m. 8 Ohms okay if efficiency is 93db or better. 6-1/5" woofer. It would be used for anything in the range of .5 watt to 20 watts. Box no larger than .8 cu ft. Not too pricey.

Edit: A full range is still good if the highs are crisp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.