FE167E or FE127E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again for those who have seen me reacently.
I'm quite decide know, and it's going to be a fostex for sure.
First I considered the FF85K in small enclousre uFonken.

Now it's between the FE127E or 167. Maybe the FF85K is going to be a bit to small. I'm considering the floorstander loudspeaker, and I've seen a few designs wich look interesting and fearely easy to buil.
There is the Bifonken MKII with FE127E and then the recomended fostex FE167E bass reflex (floorstand). looks really funny. It's also peculiar the Suzy Chang with the unpopular FE107E.
well, they more or less the same dimensions considering that they are floorstanders. The FExx6En family are probabilly not suitable for bass reflex's, although fostex suggests you can do one.

If you've had any experineces with thes drivers together and you suggest any in particular i will much appreciate your help in advance.
thanks again
bye.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've experience with all 3 in treated form (which takes some of the warts off). Each has its set of compromises. Used FR i'd probably rather live with FE127eN. Sacrificing a bit of midrange finesse, the FE167eN has greater dynamic potential and more bass impact (and the couple dB extra efficiency doesn't hurt if you have a flea-weight amp. The FF85KeN is really good over its range but is limited in the bass. Adding a woofer to the FF85 can make it a true full range system, the easiest of the 3 to make such, but may be a bit more limited in dynamics.

All 3 are discontinued so are getting scarcer. I have some, and as a celebration of these great drivers will be auctioning off a special pair of each with proceeds going to the forum.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.