diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   best full range driver (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/170136-best-full-range-driver.html)

cheerio 13th July 2010 12:24 AM

best full range driver

good evening everyone.....i have made some speakers using a non-standard type of casing but am finding that when the volume is turned up i lose bass and it gets quite trebly (not sure if thats a word but it should be!).

im using a fostex fe107e and the casing is a uniformly oval (about) 8 litres.

any ideas how to improve the sound at volume bearing in mind i can only use full range drivers and i am a complete imbecile when it comes to stuff like this so, please, nothing too technical!

many thanks in advance for your help.

dave.

aptquark 13th July 2010 12:38 AM

Hey, from one imbecile to another...what do you mean by "non-standard"?

cheerio 13th July 2010 12:54 AM

best full range driver

well, they are ceramic pots.

MashBill 13th July 2010 01:23 AM

Why can you only use full range drivers?

cheerio 13th July 2010 01:39 AM

best full range driver

i can only use full range drivers because of the size of the pots.....i CAN use larger full range ones, mind.

LCole 13th July 2010 01:50 AM

Maybe you ceramic cabinets are resonating once you get the volume up. Tap on the pot with a pencil and see if it 'rings' at about the same tone you hear with the volume up.

Building cabs out of pots, jars, pans, and other exotic materials has probably been attempted before with similar results to the ones you are expiriencing. Most of these materials may be too rigid and have a tendency to ring. I'm not saying, with the assistance of some good bracing and stuffing it can't be done, but more then likely, most builders have expirimented with various exotics and have concluded that nothing is easier, and is more pleasant to the ear then wood.

My take. I've been wrong before.

This is probably why you don't see a lot of ceramic, metal, and glass speakers here.

cheerio 13th July 2010 01:56 AM

thanks lcole.....im hoping i can find a way round this problem as i am intending to amke them and sell them. and by using musical instruments....saxophones etc. they all work nutil the volume is loud. they get loud enough for apartments and us older chaps who dont WANT the music loud....but when youre making a pair of saxophone speakers that cost $500 plus a pair to buy and make.....you want a decent return. therefore, got to be able to go loud!

cheerio 13th July 2010 02:27 AM

perhaps i should put some wood-like lining inside the pots. maybe that would work.

planet10 13th July 2010 03:41 AM

I don't think too rigid is an issue... rigid is good. I'm gonna guess that maybe as volume the internal pressure is pushing open a big leak in the cabinet... pictures?

dave

hm 13th July 2010 06:09 AM

Hi,
did you ever think about physics??
how much lin. stroke and how much membran area do you have with such driver,
you will get below 1 Watt dynamik compression,
simulate it, use is only near field 1m and take a sub.
Or you take a double horn like my Trombone or Kornett.