best full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oh, and thanks also to chris661 in the north of england.....a wonderful part of the country. if you mean what amplifier am i using....its an onkyo tx8555. if you dont mean that....im afraid i have absolutely no idea!

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Looking at the specs, there seems to be little chance the amplifier is clipping, with 75 watts on tap. Even if that's at 10% THD, you'd still have a pretty reasonable amount of power. How far are the drivers moving when you hear the described effect?

i have to say this is such a frustrating problem to have as hear the factory-made speakers and they always sound so good....even at volume. and thats the only place i have a problem....at volume. but perhaps the volume is actually louder than i think!

Making multi-way speakers go loud is easy, as a reasonably well designed 2-way will ensure neither driver unit is going into break-up. Full-range drivers tend to break up at higher volumes. In the example of my 3" Visaton driver, it was a very sudden change, where things like vocals and guitars became prominent and fairly distorted. I applied 2 coats of watered down PVA, then 2 coats of varnish of some kind, and then added phase plugs. The problem isn't so bad now, but you can still tell when they're being pushed. They still struggle to pass a couple of watts input (90dB peak).

Volume is also very subjective. A clean PA system will go on seemingly forever, and you don't notice how loud it is until you try to speak to someone. However, a cheap pair of iPod speakers will sound louder than they are due to the increased THD levels from a clipping amp.

Chris

good afternoon chris......im afraid im not an expert with audio speak so....what did you mean when you asked "how far are the drivers moving"?
also, yeah, volume IS very subjective.....what my dad finds loud i dont (although, as i am getting older, i think im getting closer to what he thinks!).
i DID find that using padded tape around the magnet part of the driver worked quite well.
how do manufacturers make them sound so bloody good?!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.