oh my gosh, I can't hear 15kHz :-( - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default oh my gosh, I can't hear 15kHz :-(

I never tried it before, but there are on-line test sites. I just tried it. I can clearly hear 14kHz, but not 15kHz. Wow, makes my amplifier design and speaker design a lot easier then.

Hearing Test - Can you hear it?

What about you guys ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th July 2010, 01:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Somehow, those tones sound odd! I can hear up to 18 kHz without issues but it doesn't sound like 18 kHz. it sounds much lower. oO
Old 10th July 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Considering what the other tones sound like...I cant hear 15 either...AND DON'T WANT TO!
Old 10th July 2010, 02:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This one is pretty neat, I score 4 out of 4 this time, so I feel better...

Can you hear like an audio engineer? | NoiseAddicts music and audio blog
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:10 PM   #5
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Well the 12Khz was really loud, but I couldn't hear the 14Khz, (my wife could hear up to 16Khz so it isn't the speakers on the laptop). The weird thing is sometimes I could hear the 16khz tone. I think the problem is my tinitis I've got contstant tones in my ears at quite high levels which I think are higher than 12Khz, which are probably masking out the sounds. I probably don't need to worry about the fact my tweeters start rolling off around 12Khz though

I'm pretty sure when I generated tones on the pc and played them through my amp and speakers I could hear up to around 16Khz, so on better quality speakers maybe I can hear a bit more...

Tony.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

About 20 years ago I read a article in stereophile where the author discussed the use of ear plugs while operating loud equipment (routers, lawnmowers etc).
Some people were using cotton plugs. The author recommended against this as people could not get it "all" out when they wanted to, leading to ear infections.
He stated that when he had a nice "listening session" planned, he would wear ear plugs for several hours.
I used to do it ( for a while). Now I just make sure I wear them when my convertible top is down, or I am operating any machinery that is loud.
I don't hear any test tones above 14kHz, am 50 years old.
Maybe it would be worse if I didn't wear the ear plugs.
They're very cheap.
Paul
Old 10th July 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

3/4

...wtf was the answer to 3? no difference?
Old 10th July 2010, 02:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

possibly if your using warble tones, you may be picking up the lower end of the "warble" and therefore sometimes hearing whats on the verge of not hearing.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Try opening two separate tabs in your browser, one for each tone so you can play them back to back.
Old 10th July 2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

4 out of 4 on pitch test, no problem. I can hear to 18kHz, just about, 22 years. These tests vary so much, the one in the OP I can hear 17K but not 18K as a tone, which is about right.

I always wear ear defenders when using router/jigsaw, I can't imagine not doing so!?

Hide this!Advertise here!