oh my gosh, I can't hear 15kHz :-(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Up to 19kHz for me. Haven't tried any brilliant tweeter, just with PC speakers. BTW, can anybody tell me if being less than 1m from a vacuum cleaner for 20 minutes is going to hurt my ears? I sometimes found my ear ringing after using it or being close to it.

BTW, can anybody tell me if being less than 1m from a vacuum cleaner for 20 minutes is going to hurt my ears? I sometimes found my ear ringing after using it or being close to it.

I find ours very loud, it has a nasty high pitch whine to it, in fact, I could detect that whine from the bus stop 2 houses from ours, I think with the windows shut!

If I used it myself, I think I'd wear ear protection, it isn't comfortable to be around. It's a Dyson. OTOH, the Henry industrial vacs I've used have been pretty quiet and I wouldn't worry about those much.

My vac sounds like a jet engine. I think they tore off one of those from a Concorde and fitted into my vac. The high pitch from the motor is awful enough, and there's also the sucking sound and the resonance of the pipe. I wished they designed it like a flared port. ;)

I was able to hear up to 17K on the first one. On the pitch test I got 4 out of four. For the loudness test I got 2 out of 3, missed the last one. For the MP3 test, got the 320k sampling rate. Done on single driver computer speakers.

I agree with the one that mentioned 3rd and 4th order harmonics being necessary in the music even if you can't hear them as that is what gives it the dynamic range.

Attachments

• 305_DC-10_SUCKS_UP_A_FOREIGN_OBJECT.JPG
    305_DC-10_SUCKS_UP_A_FOREIGN_OBJECT.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 346
So, I am curious. If I have a speaker that is good to more than 20kHz, how might I make a high pas adjustable filter to reduce the frequency range? Then I could really test my hearing while listening by adjusting the filter and seeing if I feel the music quality was different to my ears. After all, that is what matters and testing that way would really be more interesting to me than a straight sine listening test.
I haven't taken t he rest recently, but last time I did was 5 years ago (39) and I heard 16kHz, but with difficulty. I had to strain to make it out, so my "functional" hearing must have been quite a bit below that.

So, I am curious. If I have a speaker that is good to more than 20kHz, how might I make a high pas adjustable filter to reduce the frequency range?

Maybe you can use a 20 bands or more equalizer and adjust the higher frequency gain and test your hearing. If you do not want to pay for that, get a better PC based media player and tweak the equalizer. Better still, you can add a low pass filter to tracks in Audacity. BTW, Audacity sounds better than Windows Media Player and Foobar 2k in my opinion.

Maybe you can use a 20 bands or more equalizer and adjust the higher frequency gain and test your hearing. If you do not want to pay for that, get a better PC based media player and tweak the equalizer. Better still, you can add a low pass filter to tracks in Audacity. BTW, Audacity sounds better than Windows Media Player and Foobar 2k in my opinion.

Good thought. I use Audio hijack pro with iTunes. Don't know what might sound better. Hijack has a good equalizer, so I will use that. I can just start squashing the high end digitally until I can tell the difference.

Try Audacity as a player. It takes some time to import tracks one by one, but it's the best sound I've got from a PC.P.S. you can get quite a lot of sampling rates adjustments from it so you can try different sampling rates to see if 24bit sounds better than 16bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.