Chang or Sachiko - Fostex or AN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to build my first speakers and I'm not sure which one.
First of all, I planned to build Curvy-Changs with the Fostex Fe207E.
But then I heard it has some weaknesses in the high frequencys. And that the Audio-Nirvana Super8 is better. But its not fitting for the Chang.
While searching for alternatives I got a little bit confused and I think I need help now to find the right solution...
Well, after all I've got four possibilities:
- a Curvy-Chang and a Fostex FE207E
- a Curvy Chang and a AN S10
- a Sachiko and an AN S8
- a Sachiko and a Fostex Fe206En (or perhaps a Fe206E ?!)

It would be great if you could tell me your experiences eith both (chang/sachiko, fostex/AN) and your thoughts about these combinations...

Also I wonder if its possible to build a curvy-sachiko similar to the curvy-chang...I really like this design

Ah, mostly the speakers would be used for rock, sometimes for jazz/classic.

Hi
I went through the same dilemma a while back and finally settled on the sachikos. i am really happy with them. haven't heard the FE207E's or the AN's in any cabinet so i can't compare but the sachiko is a good design. They are large though, and need space to really shine. the minimum listening distance is 8ft. and they need to be away from the rear and side walls.
whichever design you choose, be sure to give enabl a try; i found it to be a substantial difference that reduced many of the shortcomings of the FE206e in the sachiko (beaming, harsh and slightly shouty top end, lack of minute detail)

cheers
mymindinside

first of all, thx for the quick answers!

None of my cabinets are designed for the Audio Nirvana range

well, that really narrows my options...thx a lot for that!

The FE207E has been discontinued

yeah, i knew that but there are at least two pairs of them per month at ebay...

the sachiko is a good design. They are large though, and need space to really shine. the minimum listening distance is 8ft. and they need to be away from the rear and side walls.

hm, that should be a great point for the changs ;)
i don't have a lot of space in my room...

the only known suitable driver left is the BOFU.

but is it really camparable to the fostex? if so, its a really good price for such a quality...

hm, that should be a great point for the changs i don't have a lot of space in my room...

Not exactly; they all need relatively large spaces & have minimum listening distances for best performance. In Sachiko's case, & the curved front Chang (never did like that name for the range) ~10ft - 11ft. Flat front Chang ~8ft.

but is it really camparable to the fostex?

No, as Dave said, it simply happens to function in many cabinets the 207 also works in, albeit typically somewhat differently, with a more heavily damped LF.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.