1 Chang complete...AND WOW!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
This is my first post (well 2nd if you count my intro post) and I want to confirm what mostly everyone here already knows...BiB's ROCK!!! I just completed one frugal horn, Chang speaker with the Pioneer B20 w/ helper tweeter and was blown away! I actually built the cabinets over a year ago, but just ordered and installed the speakers/wiring today. I fired it up on my old school Onkyo in the garage (in the middle of the floor) and first thought "OK, what's the big deal?" Then I moved it into the bedroom, placed it in the first open spot and about 6-8 inches from the wall. I plugged it up to my Accurian amp and was shocked!!! This is just one speaker that cost less than 30 bucks! ARE U SERIOUS?! It's pumping out as much bass as my 12" Kicker in my trunk. I don't have any fancy measurement equipment but this thing sounds good for what it is. My woodworking skills are less than amateur, my dimensions are probably off a bit, and the speaker probably isn't in the optimal position (not to mention, I haven't fired up the 2nd one yet), but I'm a true believer now in BiB speakers. I'll post some pics in a bit (the wife and kids are in the car waiting for me as I type). Thanks to all the great posters on this speaker topic that started my new obsession with DIY speakers/audio...Next stop will be the Cyburg's Needles.

Note taken. I've been looking at so many designs over the past year that I start to get certain design types mixed up. But really, why wouldn't the design just be considered a variation of a slot ported cabinet? Or is it? It's very similar to the boxes I'm accustomed to from the car audio world. But I'm still a newbie learning the ropes. If the Changs sound this good for the price vs performance ratio, I can't imagine what a mid-level priced or even no compromise design sound like. But anyways, thanks for learning the kid on a thing or two.

Here's a B20FU BiB thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/110703-pioneer-8-bofu-bib.html

for laymans descriptions (or how it seems in my head), the chang is a box with two rambunctiusly flared ports. The BiB doesn't really have a box so much, and is all one long folded flare with the speaker placed at a certain spot along the flare.

but yes, being bigger, the chang is better. Also noting that a picture of the chang was posted in the Pioneer BiB thread makes me suspect that to be a possible cause of confusion.

>>> I can't imagine what a mid-level priced or even no compromise design sound like.

Caution, sometimes you spend more and get less than the B20 + helper tweeter. They grunt better than many full rangers that are considered better... but they gloss over the details somewhat. Depends on how you listen and what your priorities are. I love mine but they are currently face down on the floor, protected and waiting for their next cabinet... Maybe a Half Chang is in their future?

any chance on pictures and your final thoughts?

gychang

Hello all,
This is my first post (well 2nd if you count my intro post) and I want to confirm what mostly everyone here already knows...BiB's ROCK!!! I just completed one frugal horn, Chang speaker with the Pioneer B20 w/ helper tweeter and was blown away! I actually built the cabinets over a year ago, but just ordered and installed the speakers/wiring today. I fired it up on my old school Onkyo in the garage (in the middle of the floor) and first thought "OK, what's the big deal?" Then I moved it into the bedroom, placed it in the first open spot and about 6-8 inches from the wall. I plugged it up to my Accurian amp and was shocked!!! This is just one speaker that cost less than 30 bucks! ARE U SERIOUS?! It's pumping out as much bass as my 12" Kicker in my trunk. I don't have any fancy measurement equipment but this thing sounds good for what it is. My woodworking skills are less than amateur, my dimensions are probably off a bit, and the speaker probably isn't in the optimal position (not to mention, I haven't fired up the 2nd one yet), but I'm a true believer now in BiB speakers. I'll post some pics in a bit (the wife and kids are in the car waiting for me as I type). Thanks to all the great posters on this speaker topic that started my new obsession with DIY speakers/audio...Next stop will be the Cyburg's Needles.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Note taken. I've been looking at so many designs over the past year that I start to get certain design types mixed up. But really, why wouldn't the design just be considered a variation of a slot ported cabinet?

Exactly. A slot port loaded by a conical horn (the Big part). A variation on the traditional BVR that borrows from a number of designs to come up with something -- that to the best of my knowledge is unique -- hence the extended classification of Moose BVR.

And if you didn't catch the ref, the name caught from a variation done for Mr gychang, just above this post (his was the 3rd MBVR designed, but far from the last, they have proven to be an extremely effective design)

dave

The Changs are my second favorite speakers. I bought a pair of fisher xp-55s from the thrift store for $9.99 and they make you wanna cry when you listen to some Patti Labelle through them. But for my hip-hop...I can't imagine any high end speakers making the music sound better. And these things take a beating. But, even for hip hop my friends agree, the Changs shouldn't sound as big as they do, with a 8" speaker! I bought 2 more pioneers since building them. I think I may do some half-Changs, but take my time and do them proper. As for the Changs, I still haven't decided if I'll finish them or continue to let them handle garage duties. They were my first speaker attempt, so the woodwork isn't the best. I have em in the garage acting as speakers/shelves until I figure out what I'm gonna do with them. Here's a link with some pics (hope this works):
Pictures by madmonda - Photobucket

And by the way...gychang...i get inspired by your work. What projects have you tackled lately?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.