Simple & nice DIY proposal (FX120) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2010, 03:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple & nice DIY proposal (FX120)

Following my small tapped horn sub build (TH-Micro - a 6,5" tapped horn) it is now time for a set of small (again) satellite speakers to complement them, this is a proposal only, and as such not yet fully investigated.

Take a look at...

Martinsson`s Blog

...and tell me what you think, am I on the right track here ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Best regards // martinsson
Old 30th June 2010, 04:35 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The overly small enclosure (i'd suggest 10 litre as a minimum), with wall proximity are likely to cause a big bump in the response. The same + the proximity of the back wall, will likely give a nasal, boxy midrange.

dave
Old 30th June 2010, 05:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Crossblade Send a message via AIM to Crossblade Send a message via MSN to Crossblade Send a message via Yahoo to Crossblade
Why don't you make a standard bookshelf to sit on top of your subwoofers, as showed in your blog? Using the same width will make it look like a modular two way speaker.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Planet10 - why not try to break new ground, even if this would prove be a failure (I confess that have my doubts as well) it would still be a rather nice attempt at forging our passion with that of our better halfs

Simulations show no big deviations, but simulations only goes so far, i can see your point and it is indeed a valid one, but bare in mind that i will not be inended for use below 100Hz.

Crossblade - where is the beauty and challange in basic boring old cubic boxes ??? (but I agree, it would be easy and probably sound rather good aswell)

This is a quick rendering of my drawings, the fixing feature on the rear piece facing the wall is slightly different, and I will update my drawings accordingly.
Old 3rd July 2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default er, why not leave the enclosure off?

and try an open baffle if suitable for the drivers
Old 3rd July 2010, 04:05 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsson View Post
Simulations show no big deviations, but simulations only goes so far, i can see your point and it is indeed a valid one, but bare in mind that i will not be inended for use below 100Hz.
If you believe the factory specs, the sim says you'll be fine to XO to a pair of woofers at ~120 Hz. My measures are a bit different, and boxes built to test which are more accurate indicate somewhere inbetween.

Factory specs are the flat curves, measured is the one with the big bump.

Careful XO could deal with the FR (this is where the droopy nature of a 2nd order PLLXO could come in handy), but the big issues to my mind is the potential for serious loss of midrange "cuppiness" due to no room to breath.

If you go for it, build a test box 1st.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FX120-3600cc-sealed.gif (19.5 KB, 486 views)
Old 4th July 2010, 10:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm currently listening to them in open baffles, 470x1000mm driver symetrically placed.

I'm not that impressed sofar, but it has only been a few hours, do they need some break in time ?
Old 4th July 2010, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If the FX120 sounds unimpressive, you might consider the amp you are using. I haven't tried FX120, but I have a pair of F120A which sound pitiful on any SS amp I have used. Put tubes on the F120A and they sing very sweetly!

Cheers, Jim
Old 4th July 2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default tubes and FX120...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
If the FX120 sounds unimpressive, you might consider the amp you are using. I haven't tried FX120, but I have a pair of F120A which sound pitiful on any SS amp I have used. Put tubes on the F120A and they sing very sweetly!
Perhaps ask the fullrangemeister specifically, but methinks a good class T or D amp would be ok as well
Old 5th July 2010, 12:27 AM   #10
Joe H is offline Joe H  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I'm not that impressed so far, but it has only been a few hours, do they need some break in time ?[/QUOTE]

Mine improved with some break in time for sure .

This weekend I've been playing around with a PC based setup using the FX120 in a smallish ( 8) liter BR . The amp is a Ta2024 inside a topping external soundcard .
I lined up my threeway alongside for some A/B comparisons .. bit unfair perhaps .
So far .. Im definitely impressed by the FX120 s wonderful detail .. it seems to do most things very well . Somethings lacks ... for me that is , compared to my threeway ..I think the its a soundstage thing ... a little lifeless perhaps .. not sure .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FX120.jpg (41.2 KB, 361 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!