1st time project ... modest towers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2010, 12:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1st time project ... modest towers?

Hi,

I am needing a pair of speakers for my bedroom system ... low level, 30w/ch SS amp .... jazz, classical, etc. Low power so efficiency should be good. I have been thinking of a DIY project and the thought hit me .... why not try DIY speakers? By this I mean ... build it myself, not design one. I have never built speakers before but have done a number of DIY amp projects.

I'd love a slim, tower design. Are there good reference DIY designs out there? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Are there any kit options out there?

Am I crazy to consider this as a 1st time project?

Thx in advance for help,
Rob
Old 30th June 2010, 12:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes...your're crazy. That's why you are here!

Look at the Alpair pencil series. Very good comments all around. I'm going to go with the twin alpair 7 design myself

Cheers
Old 30th June 2010, 02:05 PM   #3
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the Planet10 hifi Fonken Floorstanders MKII with CSS EL-70s and they sound awesome!

Pretty easy build too.

FonkenFSMKII

***EDIT***
The FE127E's are no longer available. The EL-70 is a recommended substitute. For this design you have to adjust the cutout of the brace behind the driver to the deeper EL-70. And don't let the efficiency numbers of the EL-70 fool you. They will play plenty loud. Without any analytical measuring equipment I almost don't believe the numbers based on the sound.

Last edited by cjkpkg; 30th June 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 30th June 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thx. After a quick look ... the Pensil 7 looks about right for me.
Would these be good for bedroom?

Rob
Old 30th June 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Thx. After a quick look ... the Pensil 7 looks about right for me.
Would these be good for bedroom?

Rob

from the criteria listed in your first post, either the Pensil or Planet10 half micro-tower would likely be quite suitable
Old 30th June 2010, 04:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've always questioned single driver speakers. Do you get get good hi - freq ? Is it a big deal (redesign, etc) to add a tweeter?
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
I built the Planet10 hifi Fonken Floorstanders MKII with CSS EL-70s and they sound awesome!

Pretty easy build too.

FonkenFSMKII

***EDIT***
The FE127E's are no longer available. The EL-70 is a recommended substitute. For this design you have to adjust the cutout of the brace behind the driver to the deeper EL-70. And don't let the efficiency numbers of the EL-70 fool you. They will play plenty loud. Without any analytical measuring equipment I almost don't believe the numbers based on the sound.
Old 30th June 2010, 04:57 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I've always questioned single driver speakers. Do you get get good hi - freq ? Is it a big deal (redesign, etc) to add a tweeter?
Rob

well until you've actually listened to a single driver speaker in your own system, you'll never know how the overall freq response works for you

regardless of all the theory and measures, some folks are simply more tolerant of "deficiencies"

the complexity of adding a tweeter later depends on a few factors, but allowances can always be made in the build's execution for that contingency
Old 30th June 2010, 05:09 PM   #8
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

I currently have 2 sets of fullrange speakers, one driving the EL-70 and one driving the Mark Audio CHR-70 - somewhat related to the EL-70 - Mark Audio is involved with both.

The high frequencies seem a little more pronounced with the CHR-70 but both drivers do not seem "lacking" in any way.
Old 30th June 2010, 05:49 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

EL70 & CHR70 use the same Mark Audio basket. Both drivers designed & built by Mark Fenlon.

As to HF response, it depends on the FR driver you are talking about. All the latest Mark Audio drivers have very extended response -- the smaller ones still have some response up to 30k... in the right box actual 9 octave response. The FF85k (i have the last of these in NA) is in its own right a stellar tweeter, besting domes costing much more, and can be XOed really low (typically 300 Hz in a FAST, but capable of 100 Hz output on its own)

Now being a single driver, and usually small they are going to be limited in absolute volume, bass impact, and dynamics (but some of them are no slouches -- the EL70 will have you looking for the woofers, and if you double up dynamics and bass slam get better). But with no XOs they are seamless (especially the no whizzer drivers), and both your ear & your amp will like that.

There is a certain seductive quality about a good FR that no multiway can match, and fans are happy to live with their shortcomings.

I have no doubt that the best modestly priced diy speakers use a FR driver (a set of EL70/CHR are $100 and a fully tarted pair are less than twice that).

And then if you need it all, a FAST system will allow 20-20k, the required XO often cheaper by going active, and an XO point where it does the least harm.

An then anothor point of view (Floyd Toole) is that there is little point in mains that play below 80 Hz, because that is the domain of the room and is best dealt with with multiple separate subwoofers.

dave
Old 30th June 2010, 06:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Dave....double up? Show me.

Spiro

Hide this!Advertise here!