zigmahornet design for Fostex 126E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was originally designed for the evergreen Fostex 103 series drivers, and TBH, isn't all that distinguished, other than the fact that the exceptionally thin front baffle does mean imaging is good insofar as a recording allows it to be. You'd need a new design of this type from scratch for the 126, which really does prefer to be in a back-horn, if you wanted to optimise things as far as possible.

Same64,

Have you heard the FE126 yet? Do you already own a pair?

If you have not heard / own a pair I would recommend you try to listen to them before purchase.

To repeat what Scott said...

If you wanted to put them in a "Zigmahornet like" cabinet then it would be a
new design, the Zigmahornet was designed for the FE103 Sigma, which was discontinued many years ago.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As a 1st project, FE126En in a Zigma-like enclosure would not be that auspicious a start. Even with the proper driver, the Zigma produces less performance than some much less resource intensive speakers, they even produce more bass. With something like FE126En which needs some trickery to lift the low Q bass up to the level of the midrange bass would be woefully shy (ie a horn). You'd likely be better just popping them into a sealed box and add a woofer per side.

Ropies Solo 103 are an example of something better for 103. And jury is still out on whether this box will work with new FE103En.

178242d1277756485-full-range-speaker-photo-gallery-dscn2671-1-dragged-.jpg

What amplifier do you have? Choice of driver should be influenced by this.

If you want to have a good 1st experience, and have something relatively simple to build, there are other drivers to consider (with discontinuation of FE127e (which i have some of the last stocks), very soon none of them will be Fostex :()

dave

well, FWIW, I heard this pair of Ziggies at the VSAC2008 Show (with Dave Merrill's 4" driver)

2BaldGuysc.jpg

(photos courtesy of 6moons)

while they do image very well indeed, to be frank they absolutely need bass assistance, and even then suffered from minor midrange colorations due to very shallow / narrow CSA as well as rather a lot of midbass ripple

The 6V6 amp by Scott of Sterling Audio was a visually gorgeous build and quite possibly responsible for more than a bit of whatever degree of magic the Ziggies delivered

2BaldGuysb.jpg

Perhaps a BIB. There were several designs on zillaspeak.com but the site appears to be done at present. Perhaps someone reading this will have the plans for the 126 BIB available to share.

the rumor of Zilla's site's demise is somewhat premature, but I think the relocation was not widely announced

rebookmark the site links posted above and you're good to go

BTW, Scott Lindgren has some designs for previous generation of Fostex drivers. Depending on your personal latitude the new FE126En could be considered a drop-in upgrade for existing enclosures for the FE126E - that certainly appears to be the case with anecdotal reports from Ed Schilling and his peeps

This is newbie question I know, but I looked at the graphs on the links provided. The speaker response is awful, a mountain range of huge peaks and valleys - how can this be acceptable at all ???

have you ever tried to reconcile unsmoothed actual in-room measurements (which could give a roller coaster enthusiast severe motion sickness) to the unfortunately unquantifiable musical enjoyment delivered?

I'm waiting for an iPhone app for the latter

all the measurements in the world or our current "understanding" of how the brain/mind works won't fully explain what happens when the gibberish of data of any of our sensory inputs are interpreted into our perception of reality - or why they differ among individuals

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.