Corner loaded fe127en based speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone.
So, my GF suggested that perhaps I should obtain some speakers (after seeing some Tannoy Westminsters that were situated close to a wall!!!) that could fit in the corners of our living room, rather than having the current Harbeth HL5s that are, well, pretty dominant in our living room ;)
Anyway, I have a pair of Dave's FE127EN that I had originally wanted to build some Fonkens with, but never got around to ...Now I am wondering whether there are any cabinet designs out there that would work well as corner-loaded horns...I saw the frugal-horn but these are designed to work with the 126...I was also perhaps thinking the Mileva.
So, I really do love my harbeths but am willing to give some DIY speakers a go. On a related note, I am currently using 160W SS amps with a Pass B1...and would consider building a Simple SE or perhaps pull out the old chipamp again...
Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.
Byron

First thing that comes to mind is a BIB. I have never heard them, but the buzz seems to be pretty good. There also have been comments from some that the bass is a bit much when they are tucked into corners--any possibility of placing speakers out just a bit from the corner?

And as a Fonken (primer) builder, I can say that they are mighty fine! I have also built two pairs of Metronomes (FE108eSigma and F120a) and am working on a third pair (FE167e) and can recommend Mets as another really good choice.

Cheers, Jim

I guess the one other point to add is that I also have a pair of adire extremis that i could include in the design...

Tysen?

Shown with FF85K & CSS SDX7 - but it shouldn't take much rejigging to revise for the drivers you named.

Note that the different sensitivities of the drivers you named makes active bi-amping the most practical way to go. Most DIYers contemplating "another" speaker project likely have several amps kicking around as well that could easily be hauled into service (or would embrace the concept of building more :rolleyes: ) and the cost of passive components for dedicated line level XO can be less than that of the box and RCA jacks in which they'd fit.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/144099-thread-tysen-variations-fast.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this particular execution is compact enough that they could certainly be tucked into a corner, relocate the woofer to the rear if the box is wide enough or tapered so

corner horn

Hello,

the KORNETT would be a solution:

Attachments

• kornettfront2kl.da.jpg
    kornettfront2kl.da.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 113
  • seitekornett2kl.da.jpg
    seitekornett2kl.da.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 111
I built the FH for the 127 and it worked well. I was living in a dorm and the room was very live (cinder block walls, commercial carpeting, etc) and there was plenty of bass extension. It was quite impressive, I took some measurements with a signal generator and an SPL meter. My measurements were posted in one of the old threads, I think my measurements were from around December 2006.

Because of limited space I gave the boxes to a fellow diyaudio member and built myself another pair of GM's MLTL bookshelves. Soon I will be building floorstanders for the FE127, its definitely one of my favorite drivers.

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.