Question about port length for FE207E's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2010, 02:56 AM   #1
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Question about port length for FE207E's

I finally picked up my first pair of Fostex drivers, some FE207E's.

I had enough scrap ply to get close to the Fostex recommended simple bass reflex cabinet size of 35L for immediate listening and break-in.
I got my cabinet in at 31L.

In the 35L drawing Fostex shows 18mm for the port length on the 80mm port. I've never built a ported speaker before but that just looks like a misprint. I have some 3" PVC cut to a 2" length in them right now but wondering what length I should be using.

Any help would be appreciated.

R/
Jim
Old 22nd June 2010, 03:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

180mm. That was a gotcha for me too!
Old 22nd June 2010, 05:15 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

18 mm is a common material thickness, so the vent is just a hole in an 18 mm thick baffle. Scaling vents to fit readily available pipe stock: FE126E enclosure question

GM
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:45 AM   #4
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
A 35L cab with a 18mm means a tuning frequency of 75Hz! I think it's a misprint as well. FE207E can get much lower in a large cab! I would say 150mm with a tuning frequency of 45Hz.
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I use a 3"dia x 5" port on my 35L BR's. They probably net more like 32L and are stuffed back to 35L. I much prefer EBS alignments, so I tend to tune low. This can give better bass extension and avoid boomyness.

Bob
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I simmed the 207e a while back in WinISD. Here is what i came up with.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex207e-box-plots.htm

35L box with a 4" x 4.25" port.

Doesn't mean it's correct, only what i would try and then work from there. Please double check my sims bc i can't remember if i used a round or square shaped ports!!! Regardless, if you tune the 207e too low a deeper dip appears between 100hz and 200hz. I was uncomfortable with this bc i would not want the speaker sounding too thin thru this range. The older style Fostex 168s produces similar charts and is a balancing act to get right imo. With this driver i prefer not to tax it too much in the bass only bc i want to retain its midrange accuracy. Using a 45L box you can go lower but at the expense of a balanced frequency response. I never used or heard this driver so buyer beware... but offer this as food for thought.

Godzilla

Last edited by Godzilla; 22nd June 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: url change
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
It's just a trade off. Smaller and higher tuning frequency for more controlled bass, larger and lower tuning frequency for less controlled bass. If you're going to add a BSC, you can tune it a bit lower. That's just my personal opinion.
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
180mm. That was a gotcha for me too!
Missed this when I posted. Japanese audiophiles are mostly 'old school' design wise, so tend to use high output impedance systems which require cabs be tuned to around/at driver Fs as this one seems to be, so add BSC as required for PP tube or SS to get a similar frequency response.

GM
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
It's just a trade off. Smaller and higher tuning frequency for more controlled bass, larger and lower tuning frequency for less controlled bass. If you're going to add a BSC, you can tune it a bit lower. That's just my personal opinion.
This is backwards, lower tunings have a lower Q (slower) roll off, ergo more controlled.

GM
Old 22nd June 2010, 03:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, I've posted this graph before. This is real measured data. 207E in a 35L box with a 3"dia x5" port. This is the EBS type alignment I favor. Note F3~50Hz, F10~30Hz. I hate to see this driver go, because the 207E + FT17H make one fine speaker.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: gif FR.gif (11.8 KB, 70 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!