Question about Audio Nirvana versus Fostex.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Carpenter, is this site on paper horns yours? (I assumed this in the rest of the post ;) )
Wonderful!
As soon as my new banisters are of the workbench I'll start building a jig. :)
(The silly idea of fabricating an entire enclosure out of paper mache even comes to mind..)

Two questions though;
-Which source did you use for tractrix curve theory?
-What paper mache paper/glue mixture and method do you recommend? (Man, your result looks smooth!) Read somewhere that adding some concrete works out perfectly. Could imagine that using a natural resin also might give nice results. Which glue method do you use?

Ps if there is an appropiate thread for this please refer me to it. I didn't find one (yet).

Last edited:
Yeah, we're kind of high-jacking the daylight out of this thread. Perhaps a moderator could help us out here?

In the meantime, to answer your questions: Yes, that's my horn mold in white, and the actual horn in blue.

I believe I used the calculator on the single driver web site (there's a horn section to that site, if I remember correctly)--it's been about 4 years, or so since I fabricated the horn mold. Be sure to check out my home page, there's a beryllium diaphragm available for the JBL 2446 style compression driver.

I use 1/3 wall paper paste, 1/3 white glue, and 1/3 water for adhesive.

I've learned through experience, that mids/high frequencies don't sound good with a hard surface such as plaster, or concrete, etc--way too harsh, laser like focus can be painful.

I'm staying as organic as possible; it keeps the wife happy to not have to smell resin.

AN Super 8 Cast Frame

I just installed AN Super 8 Cast Frames onto a pair of Nagaoka design KCS Back Loaded Horns, were a Fostex fe206 Es-r used to reside.
Based on my limited listening thus far (for about 4 eves) below are my impressions.

They both sound detailed and natural, w/the sound oozing out of the horns. The AN sounds brighter and the Fostex more refined/textured, but in fairness, I suspect that this is a function of the ANs not being broken-in yet.

The AN is better in the image department to my ears, with instruments and/or voices well placed in the soundstage. The Fostex was a bit more "directional".

Both speakers are good performers, but on a price/performance ratio, the AN is a clear winner. Then again, all this is in my humble opinion, as someonelses ears my hear things differently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.