Double horn for a 15"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some bass cabs for PA. I'm most inclined to build horn subs, but really like the idea of the Spawn type double horn.

1. How do I calculate the size of a double horn for a 15"?
2. Why does hornresp simulate the double horns so badly? According to hornresp these designs shouldn't work at all.

Number 1 is probably answered somewhere on the frugal horn site, but I looked briefly and can't find any info. Besides I'm lazy;)

Number 2 is probably b/c I'm entering something wrong in the simulation. I use the total mouth area as one mouth, and horn length is from center of box to mouth?

Many thanks

It may be just me but I'm not sure the Spawn family is what you want for PA work. Dave or Scott?

well, actually I think at one time that was on a whimsical design wish list

no doubt several variations of a bigasz double mouth horn/BVR could be authored, but I'd imagine their "portability" would be an issue

how about thinking something like this?

DECWARE IMPERIAL S.O.

impsub.jpg

imperial1.jpg

and my favorite - vintage Steve D marketing:

impsm.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What defines a spawn horn, as opposed to a spawn BVR, is the use of the Olson-style stepped expansion in a style Scott has developed as his own. Best to use MJK to model these. To get an analytic idea of the HF response one needs to add every expansion at every fold in the horn. Each one acts as a low pass filter.

Maria (to be revisited at some point) was intended to be a BVR for the beta12LTA for use as a small FR PA. Potentially with a pair of flanking bass-only BVRs. Getting the compromises necessary for transportability etc had us move on to more important projects.

dave

Right Chris, portability was on my mind when I suggested they weren't meant for PA work. If they were built in I guess that would be fine.

Those Decawares make me drool.

that's kinda funny - at one time in the early days the little amps came with a gag gift - a "drool towel" for cleaning up when your friends jaw's drop listening to the delightful little 2 watt SV83 SET at used to sell for $300 or so

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.