Peerless 830987 3" full range in dipole - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless 830987 3" full range in dipole

Hi Folks,

I am experimenting with a small OB design and would appreciate your feedback. My goals were to develop a room friendly dipole by using a 3" full range driver. A helper woofer is used to address dipole cancellation.

I am very pleased with the Peerless 830987 (inverted surround version of 830986) and have documented my findings below. Even though my project might be considered a 2-way, I thought this might be helpful to those of you who are looking for an inexpensive apt driver for true single driver application.

http://home.comcast.net/~cunundrum

Ed
Old 17th June 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice write-up. Thanks for posting that.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hey chris. thanks for taking the time to check it out!
Old 17th June 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It really is a nice read matevana. I wan't one now!
Old 17th June 2010, 10:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Love the simple baffle design. I was thinking about something similar using the 'full range' PE buyout for $10 but my sims were somewhat disappointing with similar baffle dimensions. It may sound better in real life tho... Your project is inspiring!
Old 17th June 2010, 11:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Love the simple baffle design. I was thinking about something similar using the 'full range' PE buyout for $10 but my sims were somewhat disappointing with similar baffle dimensions. It may sound better in real life tho... Your project is inspiring!
My experience with software simulation in dipoles has been somewhat hit-or-miss, much more so than with conventional designs. I built a simple test baffle with panels that slide on both axis allowing for multiple height/width combos. Of course this is only helpful when you have the driver in hand, but it seems to be a good way to model a baffle in the particular environment your working in. I wouldn't be surprised if PE buyout sounds better than it actually modeled.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:18 PM   #7
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

great project, matevana! these look like the perfect ob desktop computer speakers.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

very nice, and very well written. thanks
Old 23rd June 2010, 04:49 PM   #9
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by matevana View Post
My experience with software simulation in dipoles has been somewhat hit-or-miss,..but it seems to be a good way to model a baffle in the particular environment your working in..
Hi matevana,

I checked your design using MJK:s program... Seems you made a good design (compare with my simulations). Noticed the low FR corner that can be extended with a good monopole sub..See the T-TQWT using an additional Alpine woofer.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlpineSWS-1023D_T-TQWT.JPG (541.7 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg Pioneer_TSW303R_T-TQWT.JPG (477.1 KB, 344 views)
Old 24th June 2010, 04:19 AM   #10
brookbh is offline brookbh  United States
diyAudio Member

I just recently (this week) bought some of the Lagan beech counter top from Ikea, and can say that it seems well constructed, solid and fairly heavy in its sheet form. Its going to be used for a flexy table/rack build coming soon. It seems like it would be great for dipoles, or any front baffle...

The write up looks great, and is filled with useful information. Did you consider any other 10" woofers?

Hide this!Advertise here!