Mark Audio suggestion for newbie?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm a complete DIY speaker newbie, and was originally considering trying to put together a set of Frugelhorns (as space is a factor so OB isn't an option), but then came across the Mark Audio drivers.

Just wondering what the differences between the drivers are. I had a bit of search but couldn't find much for a speaker philistine like myself.

People seem to be keen on the Alpair 10, but what are the advantages / disadvantages of the Alpair 12? And what is the currently recommended / in vogue cabinet? Is there anything better than the Pensil designs that aren't too crazy? Or that I could get someone to build for me?

Thanks!
Taz.

(I apologise if this has been posted clearly elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. :( )

I heard a Frugelhorn with the Fostex FE108 Sigma and the coherence of that inspired me to investigate fullrange systems. I settled on the Mark Audio drivers, and built a pair of Pencil 7s. They have a similar presence physically in the room, but in my opinion far out perform what I heard from the Frugelhorn. The Fostex drivers sounded "shouty" and the system was bass shy, while the MarkAudio system just sounds well balanced and "right".

Taz, I believe the Alpair 7 is probably your most balanced driver of the bunch. The smaller cone of the A7 will yield better off axis response than the A12 and also will work in a smaller design. As was said above, the Pencil 7 is a great design and would be ideal for a starting point due to it's ease of construction.

The Mark Audio drivers have amazing low end response and you won't likely need a sub with them (depending on what design you build). The frugal horns, in my experience do much better with a small sub to bolster the low end. I have my frugals with an SDX7 and they are fantastic but I wouldn't say they'd really survive on their own. The Mark Audio drivers on the other hand, do just fine without a sub. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I heard a Frugelhorn with the Fostex FE108 Sigma and the coherence of that inspired me to investigate fullrange systems. I settled on the Mark Audio drivers, and built a pair of Pencil 7s. They have a similar presence physically in the room, but in my opinion far out perform what I heard from the Frugelhorn. The Fostex drivers sounded "shouty" and the system was bass shy, while the MarkAudio system just sounds well balanced and "right".

Whereas i find that the Fostex all need some work to become acceptable to me in my room, all the new Mark Audio drivers are good on their own.

Of course i believe that any & all drivers can be breathed on for more performance. That said recent experience with Alpair 7 has me moving them to the top ranks of my favorites list. Stock they go head to head with my treated FE127 & FF85 Fostex, beating them in everywhere but efficiency & depth of the 3D soundstage (the latter they do better than any other non-treated driver i have auditioned). They are also not as picky about amplifiers as the Fostex, giving them broader application.

New cabinets are coming all the time... Mark has just released new Double Bass (reflex) cabinets for Twin A7 & A12 -- this series will very likely expand. And i have the proto-types of the Frugel-Horn Mk3 downstairs waiting for me to mount up drivers (being targeted for CHR70, EL70, and Alpair 7 as well as the new & old FE126 (and probably with FE127), i have a lot of removable baffles to load. Scott radically simlified this rev so much, and made it so versatile, that we really need to make sure it works so i'm not saying anymore until it is proven (or falls on its face :))

dave

And i have the proto-types of the Frugel-Horn Mk3 downstairs waiting for me to mount up drivers (being targeted for CHR70, EL70, and Alpair 7 as well as the new & old FE126 (and probably with FE127), i have a lot of removable baffles to load.

Scott radically simlified this rev so much, and made it so versatile, that we really need to make sure it works so i'm not saying anymore until it is proven (or falls on its face :))

dave

almost too late for that? ;)

proto-types of the Frugel-Horn Mk3 downstairs waiting for me to mount up drivers (being targeted for CHR70, EL70, and Alpair 7

dave

I think im going to give in soon and build one of these CHR70, EL70, Alpair 7 speakers. The Metronomes (Enabled Fostex 126e) that I built for my room sound fantastic and I want to do something similar with a bit more Bass for the main living room.

Its just hard deciding what to build. Do I get a some modified EL-70s? modified CHR-70s? Stock Apair 7s? The double vent mBVR looks like a great plan to build but this new MK3 has my interest piqued!

What are the differences?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What are the differences?

No speaker is perfect. They are all different sets of compromises. Budget, size, WAF, bass extension, midrange purity, imaging...

The EL70 is a bass monster. One of my clients built a set of bipole mets. Then he built another pair. He removed his sub out of his (HT) system. Now he is building a centre channel "met" i designed to act as a platform for his TV.

CHR i have to hold comments on... my batch of Mk 2s is still on the break-in bench and i have only listened to the Mk 1.

A7 is sublime. More finese all the way round.

I haven't treated them all, but from experiences i've had they can all be made better.

As to choosing treated EL70 or CHR vrs stock A7 (all about the same price) fortunately i can have them all (althou much more nuanced a decision than this, much would come down to how much weight 3D imaging carries)... or 2 pair of EL70 or CHR vrs 1 pair A7 (again about the same price). Well that one comes down to how much you "like to rock", the dual driver boxes can move more air.

Is that an amniguous enuff an answer? One of the cool things is that whichever way you go, you won't be hurting.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.