I just bought a pair of the Fostex Fe83En, And questions :) . - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2010, 07:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The new fe126En is out of stock too, Did you buy all of them too? LOL.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchel View Post
The only advantage of the fe83en over the ff85k is that it has lower moving mass, It might sound faster
'Speed' = transient response which is essentially unaffected by the powertrain mass; it's determined by how quickly you can slew current through the driver so VC inductance is the dominant factor. All other things being equal however, less mass in the powertrain does promote higher efficiency.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:54 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchel View Post
The new fe126En is out of stock too, Did you buy all of them too? LOL.
I helped with the FE126e, but no, i only have 2 pair of FE126En -- both for testing purposes.

dave
Old 14th June 2010, 01:39 AM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I helped with the FE126e, but no, i only have 2 pair of FE126En -- both for testing purposes.

dave

that wudda bin Ed is my guess - bless his heart
Old 14th June 2010, 01:49 AM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

marchel - I deduce from an earlier post that you've yet to actually hear the FF85K? - there's more to this little giant than just the lower moving mass compared to FE83

time will tell to what degree the folkx at Fostex intend to replace / upgrade the FF series - hopefully it won't be as drastic a winnowing as was the case with the FE

but they aren't the only game in town for affordable FR fanatix
Old 14th June 2010, 09:16 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes I haven't yet heard the ff85k nor any fostex speakers, This will be my first fostex experience, When the fe83e arrives.
Old 17th June 2010, 06:41 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

HI,

The speakers arrived earlier than I expected, What a pleasant surprise, But I still haven't finished the box, And I cant wait to listen to these beautiful babies.

The speakers sounds very good even at first listen , And after about 25 minutes of music , The sound becomes sweeter, The speakers sounds very musical and very enjoyable, These things don't need tweeters. And about the .15mm Xmax, LOL LOL LOL, Because I see the cone move much much further than the Xmax would suggest on paper without the SQ falling apart. Just perfect.

Pictures below.

Note that the box is rectangular, It only looks that way due to perspective distortion and the lens distortion , by using the wide end of my 24-105L on a full-frame body.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:33 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Glad you're enjoying them.

Re Xmax, I don't think you quite understand what it actually is. Xmax is the available peak linear displacement of the driver (basically, it's how much movement is available before the VC leaves the magnetic gap) and is assumed to be reached at 10% THD. A driver may (almost invariably does) have substantially more mechanical travel available to it, but distortion / compression of dynamic peaks rapidly increases above this point. Traditionally, Fostex drivers overload in a fairly benign fashion, but you're not hearing them at their best when you do this.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 17th June 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:59 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Scottmoose, Thank you.

As I understand , This Fostex driver have underhang motor configuration, The specs says that it has .15mm of Xmax one way, And that is very tiny xmax, This driver must be working like an "even-hang" motored driver, Cause the I can see the cone move 3mm peak to peak, Without any change in sound in the mids and highs.

All 7inch woofers I have Would usually fall apart once they reach their rated xmax during play. But all of them have overhang motors.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:11 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

There will in fact be a change in sound; you're just not hearing it at present because you've no baseline with which to compare. THD will be much higher at those kind of deflections, though, as noted, the Fostex units tend to overload in a relatively benign fashion. It's an interesting subject; motor design is part of it, but there are cone & general powertrain aspects which play major roles too.

Hide this!Advertise here!