I just bought a pair of the Fostex Fe83En, And questions :) .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I bought a pair and i should be receiving it next week or a few days from now. While waiting for it , I made a ported box for it, 6 liters or .22cu ft3 tuned to 95hz.

Is there a special method of breaking in Fostex drivers, That rewards the user with best possible sound from the drivers. Like starting with small scale music and then progressing into heavier kinds of music. or Just start the break in process with heavy metal or dance music , to give the suspension a good stretch?

Anyone can enlighten me?

BTW, I have pictures of the ported box that I made just the other day , I also have a 3 inch FF driver that have the same mounting dimension as the fe83en, I'm listening to it in my bedroom, And it sounds good, I can't wait for the fostex to arrive though, Will report back , When I have a good listen to the fostex.

781W0014-11280x768.jpg

781W0015-11280x768.jpg

781W0015-21280x768.jpg

781W0017-11280x768.jpg

I'd expect that it's Ok to go straight for the heavy bass stuff.

Wrong. On the 3in Fostex units it's advisible to be gentle initially & work up to more demanding signals. Doesn't have to take a very long time, but hitting them with considerable LF energy right out of the box is not necessarily going to do them many favours. The same applies to most drivers of this size / type.

Chris is right and so is Scott, but I do have some cautions.

The EnABL processed drivers don't really change their sonic qualities over time. They are frozen at best possible sound by the process. You will find that room modes pretty much disappear and the sweet spot will be ginormous, as in get up and walk around without impairing the information, spatial presentation or musical balance to any sort of significant degree.

Do be aware that the drivers will not display much of any sort of compression either, until you blow the cones right out of the gap. Plus, the normal increase in distortion will not be available, as you increase the volume level. In fact, they just sound better and better the louder you play them, again, until they self destruct. The only real gauge you will have is that, if you can't hear your wife shouting at you to turn the **** things down,,,, please, they are well into self destruction realms and you will receive a lump on your head from the frying pan.

In all seriousness, the above can happen quite easily and it is probably best to just add more drivers, rather than try to limit your volume control excursions, if heavy metal at concert levels is a requirement.

Bud

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The instructions for the Alpair 7 & 12 are a good guidline.

The Fostex are probably not quite so picky. I get a couple hundred hours on the bench with relatively low volume FM radio before i do anything with them.

Just to be picky, it is important to get the capatilization in the driver name right, it is an FE83En. I have been using FExxeN for my drivers for close to 3 years before Fostex brought out their new range. It is confusing. eN means an EnABLed FExxe driver. (i have only ever done one set of FE83e)

I think you will find that the FF85 has an edge on the new driver ... it is really a sigma series in disguise.

dave

The driver I just ordered is the newly introduced fe83en, I Thought I'm not going to confuse anyone, Because the fe83e isn't much talked about in Planet 10's website or in this website, But still.

I was also once confused when I bought a pair CSS fr125sr, When there was Enabled written on the sticker in the driver , It turned out that the word "enabled" implies to the motor structure of that driver being enabled with it, Then after that the latter production run of the fr125sr was change, where the word enabled was omitted to avoid confusion.

Anyway, I agree with planet 10 that the ff85k have an edge over the fe83en, at least on paper, But the ff85k was out of stock at the time I ordered the fe83en. The only advantage of the fe83en over the ff85k is that it has lower moving mass, It might sound faster, But then ,I don't know if it would account much in actual listening. Nonetheless , I will also buy a a pair of ff85k for comparison at later time, Or maybe a new N version of that driver :) .

Last edited:
The only advantage of the fe83en over the ff85k is that it has lower moving mass, It might sound faster

'Speed' = transient response which is essentially unaffected by the powertrain mass; it's determined by how quickly you can slew current through the driver so VC inductance is the dominant factor. All other things being equal however, less mass in the powertrain does promote higher efficiency.

marchel - I deduce from an earlier post that you've yet to actually hear the FF85K? - there's more to this little giant than just the lower moving mass compared to FE83

time will tell to what degree the folkx at Fostex intend to replace / upgrade the FF series - hopefully it won't be as drastic a winnowing as was the case with the FE

but they aren't the only game in town for affordable FR fanatix

HI,

The speakers arrived earlier than I expected, What a pleasant surprise, But I still haven't finished the box, And I cant wait to listen to these beautiful babies.

The speakers sounds very good even at first listen , And after about 25 minutes of music , The sound becomes sweeter, The speakers sounds very musical and very enjoyable, These things don't need tweeters. And about the .15mm Xmax, LOL LOL LOL, Because I see the cone move much much further than the Xmax would suggest on paper without the SQ falling apart. Just perfect.

Pictures below.

Note that the box is rectangular, It only looks that way due to perspective distortion and the lens distortion , by using the wide end of my 24-105L on a full-frame body.

781W0023-11280x768.jpg

781W0024-11280x768.jpg

Glad you're enjoying them. :)

Re Xmax, I don't think you quite understand what it actually is. Xmax is the available peak linear displacement of the driver (basically, it's how much movement is available before the VC leaves the magnetic gap) and is assumed to be reached at 10% THD. A driver may (almost invariably does) have substantially more mechanical travel available to it, but distortion / compression of dynamic peaks rapidly increases above this point. Traditionally, Fostex drivers overload in a fairly benign fashion, but you're not hearing them at their best when you do this.

Last edited:
Hi Scottmoose, Thank you.

As I understand , This Fostex driver have underhang motor configuration, The specs says that it has .15mm of Xmax one way, And that is very tiny xmax, This driver must be working like an "even-hang" motored driver, Cause the I can see the cone move 3mm peak to peak, Without any change in sound in the mids and highs.

All 7inch woofers I have Would usually fall apart once they reach their rated xmax during play. But all of them have overhang motors.

There will in fact be a change in sound; you're just not hearing it at present because you've no baseline with which to compare. THD will be much higher at those kind of deflections, though, as noted, the Fostex units tend to overload in a relatively benign fashion. It's an interesting subject; motor design is part of it, but there are cone & general powertrain aspects which play major roles too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.