I just bought a pair of the Fostex Fe83En, And questions :) .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,

The speakers sounds very good even at first listen , And after about 25 minutes of music , The sound becomes sweeter, The speakers sounds very musical and very enjoyable, These things don't need tweeters. And about the .15mm Xmax, LOL LOL LOL, Because I see the cone move much much further than the Xmax would suggest on paper without the SQ falling apart. Just perfect.

Hi Marchel, thanks for posting relevant information about the sound of the new FE83. Even though listening impressions are subjective, they are a hell of a lot more useful than speculation on how a driver sounds. Especially, when they are sincere. The Fostex 3" used solitaire don't get much print. Unfortunately so, because they have much better presecence and all around "fun" sound than larger full rangers. Just leave them on at a sane level and listen to the music. Keep us posted as the drivers settle in.

Thanks ultrakaz,

I've been playing the speakers as much as possible since it arrived, Mostly with contemporary music, I know it is very difficult to describe subjective sound quality over the internet, This system is my bedroom system, I Have a spare room in my house where my main system is located , I have a few pairs of b&w speakers and DIY speakers to compare this Fostex speaker with. All I can say it that this fostex is very smooth sounding , It does not lack High frequency sparkle , And It does not have the artificial shimmer of some tweeters.

I would also like to point out that you can ignore that .15mm xmax rating of this driver. As I can crank up the level up to where it is very difficult to make conversation in my 14' by 15' by 9' high ,Dead sounding bedroom, With out having the speaker produce a gross amount of distortion.

I'd like to present my point by taking pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about, The music I'm playing with it at the time of taking picture is " say what you want " by Texas. The cone moves that much , But the mids and highs are still clear as a bell.

781W0025-11280x768.jpg

781W0032-21280x768.jpg

I just re-tuned the box to 65hz , And the power handling improved. A Sure electronic amplifier also happen to arrive, And it sound so good with the Fostex , Better SQ and transparency than the LM1875 based chip amp before it, It's only 15 watts into 4 ohms, But the system goes loud in my room.

At the time of photo, I'm listening to Cheap Trick's surrender, Mommy's alright Daddy's alright.. And I'm enjoying every second of it. I'm using an old onkyo cd player that a fellow Diyaudio member, Helped fix .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

781W0018-11280x768.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and this post got me finishing a pair of FE83En's in Fostex recommended DBR boxes. I've been listening them couple of days now, and the sound keeps getting better. With acoustic music (Punch Brothers, Art Blakey, Tommy Emanuel) the sound is stunning and lifelike. Accurate imaging and great presence. Electric music (Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks, Dr. Feelgood)sounded bit thin and boxy at first listen, but now after about 10 hours of listening the sound is full and warm. The speakers are very efficient: I use Rogers HG88 mkII 10 watt amp, and with it the levels can be louder than I'll ever need. I'm suprised how big and full the sound of these small boxes is. They fill my small living room with great sound easily, and I can move around and the sound stays accurate and great. I work with professional studio monitors around me and like my home system to sound good, as opposed to sound flat and linear, and these little speakers do it right at least for me :)

Thanks for the sound descriptions marchel, without them I would't have ordered the drivers, and what would I have missed!

Sorry to hijack this thread but i'm having a *very* hard time finding a proper bass reflex duct in Europe for this very design.

Fostex specifications ask for a 40mm internal diameter, 50mm long reflex duct but the closest thing i can find is a cone-shaped bass reflex 140mm long with a 40mm diameter at the inner end and 50mm at the outer.

Cutting it of the proper length (50mm) i would end up with the wrong diameter. Any suggestions?

Another option is a plumbing pvc tube, but even that is only available in sizes of (outer diameter) 40mm or 50. Since the pvc tube is 2.5mm thick, i'll have either a 35mm or 45mm effective diameter duct.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you very much

Sorry to hijack this thread but i'm having a *very* hard time finding a proper bass reflex duct in Europe for this very design.

Fostex specifications ask for a 40mm internal diameter, 50mm long reflex duct but the closest thing i can find is a cone-shaped bass reflex 140mm long with a 40mm diameter at the inner end and 50mm at the outer.

Cutting it of the proper length (50mm) i would end up with the wrong diameter. Any suggestions?

Another option is a plumbing pvc tube, but even that is only available in sizes of (outer diameter) 40mm or 50. Since the pvc tube is 2.5mm thick, i'll have either a 35mm or 45mm effective diameter duct.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you very much

Hi,

There's a similar problem here. Try looking for postal tubes. These are cardboard (read: easy to cut), come in a variety of diameters, and are straight profile. And also fairly cheap to buy. The plastic end plugs are removable.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Chris

10 liters Boom-Box (Hoge BB-4) with FE83EN + HP = acoustical CH-V Satellite Box

I like boom box alignments for vented satellite loudspeaker (particularly for small full range transducers with low X-max - here only 0,15mm) according
BB4 Loudspeaker Analysis
in the attachment a simulated example.
Nearly a perfect Chebyshev roll-off (fifth order)
Here the datasheet of the transducer:
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/FE83En.pdf

In the moment I am looking to a methody for convert this passive high pass filter network into an active network (MFB, not Sallen-Key).
Where I can find papers, reports, threads and instructions/calculation rules arround this topic?
Thank you for advices.

Attachments

• Fostex FE83EN 8Lvent d10-l4 -1R-71uF-3mH-3R7-160uF target (purpur) vs sim (blue).pdf
    122 KB · Views: 127
  • Fostex FE83EN 8Lvent d10-l4 -1R-71uF-3mH-3R7-160uF sim. freq.resp.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Fostex FE83EN 8Lvent d10-l4 -without high pass filter sim. freq.resp.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Fostex FE83EN 8Lvent d10-l4 -1R-71uF-3mH-3R7-160uF schema.pdf
    4.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Fostex FE83EN 8Lvent d10-l4 -1R-71uF-3mH-3R7-160uF parameter.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.