ND90-8 desktop enclosure Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I just ordered a pair of Dayton ND-90 3.5" full range speakers to use as a desktop speaker set. Has anyone used these yet? The reviews looked really good for the price. They will be played at mainly low volume, but I still want a full sound from them. Music will be almost anything from electronic to rock to rap. I was thinking of a small ported enclosure, but am not sure how to calculate the proper volume/port size I need for them.

I have some 1" PVC that I would like to use as the port unless it is too big to be useful. I think most are tuning these to 50Hz.

Sealed is an option as well, if someone has tried both and thinks that would be better.

Here is the link/specs:
Dayton ND90-8

Specifications: *Power handling: 20 watts RMS/40 watts max *VCdia: 3/4" *Le: 0.54 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 6.9 ohms *Frequency range: 80-15,000 Hz *Fs: 80 Hz *SPL: 82.1 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.05 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.25 *Qes: 0.85 *Qts: 0.71 *Xmax: 4 mm *Dimensions: A: 3-1/2", B: 3", D: 2-1/4".

Thanks!!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
They are working well. I did stuff cotton balls in the BR vents which tightened up things somewhat.

I didn't want to get into the complexity of a two way system. It is just a box with speakers and a wire leading to the T-amp, nothing fancy. As it is, it is very pleasant listening in the nearfield, and good for background music in a small room.

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner.. I made one set of speakers with these and they sounded so good I made another..

If you don't already have WinISD, get it.. It will help greatly.

WinISD will recommend a large box, I shrunk it a little to about the best low end response I could with a smaller enclosure. I ended up settling with a 6L (366 Cu.In.) enclosure tuned to 50Hz. (Port was 1" doa PVC, rounded internal edges, 3.2" long)

They surpassed my expectations, especially now that they are broken in. They are powered by a LM1876TF chip amp. The surprising part is they probably could use a separate tweeter, though I would couple them with a small one (maybe crossover ~8-10k as a guess).

I use them as computer speakers at work and the guys find it hard to believe there is no sub..

Here are pictures.. The graph from WinISD, the computer speakers I made (which are ugly but sound great) and the iPod dock I built after I knew they would sound good. Note, the dock is almost finished in that picture.

Attachments

• ND-90.jpg
    ND-90.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 420
  • v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 409
  • dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 407
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.