Fostex FE207E PhasePlugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all...

I have a pair of Dave's PhasePlugs laying in my shop.

But until now, i didn't managed to cut the dustcap out, and manage to actually install it, due to unknowing if i understood the instructions right.

At Dave's site, there is a clear explanation howto install it on Fostex Fe167, or whatever, but i don't know, if i just have to do the same thing with my drivers FE207E, or ???

Hope that someone could expain to me, what to do excatly...

Jesper.

Attachments

• 12062010238.jpg
    12062010238.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 379
Some listning impressions so far :

First impression, was a (even) wider stereo perspective, the perspective was quite impressive before, due (i think) to my balanced F4's, but the plugs gave me even more of this... If to explain, i think the sweet-spot also is bigger now, but i am not sure if this causes the wider perspective, or if it's the plugs themselves ?

I slightly can hear some de-sibbiliance (the good way), maybe it's just beliving ? - no ... I think it's for real, but time will tell for sure, when spending some more hours with them plugs...

So far so good, they are sure some improvements :)

Jesper.

Thanks for the pics, I might be doing this myself in the near future.

Dave/someone, can you give a brief explanation of the technical purpose/operation of the phase plugs? I am not questioning them or anything since a)I have no personal experience with them & b)everyone seems to hear a difference. I am just curious about what they "do" at a physical level. Thanks!

The 207 'needs' a supertweeter, period, plugs or no, if you wish for flat output to ~20KHz. Whether most people do or not is another matter entirely. ;)

The plugs do a few things; the fill in the hollow pole-piece, erradicating resonances, add a small hole into the response in the sibilance band, helping to smooth out female vocals in particular, and tend to help improve off-axis response.

Thanks for the reply. Question...answered.

I ordered up some FE207's from Madisound, as well as a pair of FT17 horn tweeters. I'll be crossing them over at 12kHz for now (3.3 Ohm 25W resistor in series for 3dB attenuation, 1uF poly cap in series for crossover). They will make their way into a Curvy Chang at some point...I still have to rip my car completely apart & install all the SB Acoustics stuff I have had sitting in my living room!

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but i feel my question is kind of related to Lykkedk's :)
I also have a pair of Dave's plugs just sitting here unused. They are meant for the FE166, in a pair of Abby's, originally built by Stenoe.
I'm very satisfied with the speakers, but if i can gain a little more "happiness", i may have to jump in and cut the dust caps.
I have been hesitating to do this operation, as i remember i read somewhere, that the 166's could be a little tricky.
I guess i'm just asking someone to give me the final push, so i can jump in instead of just standing here dipping my toes ;)

All the best
Ebbe

You will just have to carefully cutout the dustcap... The hardest part is as said before, to got the nerve, actually sticking a knife into thoose speakers...

Jesper...

Hi Jesper.
Yes, that's excactly what i'm trying to work up right now... The nerve :D

I will leave your thread alone now, thanks for the support.

All the best
Ebbe

On the 167 & 167 you just need to watch the angle of the scalpel. The angle of the whizzer and the tight space can lead to accidentilly cutting a divot on the inside of the whizzer. This is fixable if you are treating your drivers, but better to just take care.

dave

Hello Dave.
I believe i read somewhere, that the voicecoil was VERY close to the dustcap/whizzer, with the risk of cutting the coil by accident, but my memory worked a little better 30 years ago, hehe.
Thanks alot for the heads-up, I take it, that i have to find a real scalpel, and not rely on what we, at least in DK, call a "hobby knife".
I'm in the process of working up the mentioned nerve these days, it won't be long before i take the plunge. :)

Best regards
Ebbe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.