Fostex FF85K in the Buschhorn Mk I?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ty: very nice grain matching and finishing work - pretty decent sounding little driver too isn't she?

Thanks! :D

If someone told me you could get this kind of sound from a three inch driver, I wouldn't believe them. To be honest, I still spend a lot of time staring at them in disbelief. It really is a pity Fostex discontinued this driver. They really don't have anything close as a replacement, do they? No FF85KN, is there?

Oh, crap.

P1160837.jpg

Apart from Surface area the CT164 driver and the FF85 are not that dissimilar, se below

A problem common to all small drivers in backloaded horn is that above the working range of the backloaded horn say 150-300 Hz they are small drivers in a closed box struggling in the range were music is the loudest. Icing on the cake is that the baffle loading is low in a narrow baffle with a driver placed in one extreme end of the baffle so both the Buschhorn and the CT164 share this aggrevating feature.

hifisound eShop   -  FOSTEX FE 103 En - BREITBAND   S
hifisound eShop   -  FOSTEX FF 85 WK - BREITBAND   A

Yes, I'm rather familiar with both units. The CT164 is tuned way too low for the FF85k IMO, or to put it another way, given the physics of horn loading, it isn't big enough. It needs the driver to do far more work than the little 85 is capable of without chronic distortion.

Can't say I entirely agree that the midrange is the area they most struggle in; the LF is the problem region from my POV, given that's where most of the acoustical power-demands lie. They're never going to be the units of choice for high sustained SPLs or dynamic range of course, so if that's the priority, they're the wrong units, period.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.