Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2010, 12:24 AM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

tidy work, Ty:

if you want to keep the second side removable 'til you've got the stuffing to your satisfaction (and definitely wait 'til a couple of hundred hours of playing/break-in), you could try something we've done a couple of times.

(this assumes that there will be a finish coat of veneer, paint, etc.)

use self-adhesive closed cell foam weatherstrip tape on the edges of all lateral panels, use the existing full size template to pilot drill holes through the side panels, and temporarily attach the sides with #6 x 1 1/2" flat head woodscrews. You should be able to loosen and remove the screws several times before stripping the edge core of plywood. Be sure to use larger countersink bit that the heads of the screws, or they'll most likely chip the flat grain of the side panels when you remove them,

Once you're happy with the damping levels, remove the foam tape and permanently attach the side panels - either using the existing screws, or just glue on as you did the first side. Then fill the countersunk holes and apply finish, etc.

If you hadn't intended to apply any more materials, or want to apply finish to raw box, I'd imagine there'd be enough plywood off-cuts from a full 4x8 sheet to make a fresh set of panels.

No doubt I'm spoiled by having access to all the scraps I could possibly want for any such templates or temporary workpieces. We pay over $2400 per month just to cart our solid waste to the local dump - so I guess I'm technically saving the company a few dimes on every such piece of "repurposed" material, and no, none of it qualifies for any type of green recycling
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:04 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
tidy work, Ty
Thanks for the tips and the compliments. I'll keep an eye on the magnet clearance. If I keep the felt about 18mm back from the front panel, it shouldn't interfere. My felt isn't really that thick anyway. I guess it wouldn't have hurt to stretch the top chamber a good 30mm or so, would it? Maybe the design's aspect ratio (80mm height:110mm width) plays some role?

Good idea on the removable side panel. This project started with the leftovers from the last, so I only had two-thirds of a sheet to start. I've got enough to cut one more side panel, but not two. I do have a bunch of 1/2" OSB around that I could use for a makeshift temporary side. I could just save the two good panels for later. I'll give that some more thought. Of course, I'm impatient and won't want to wait to glue everything up and call it finished. Oh well.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...n/P1140080.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...n/P1140076.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...n/P1140078.jpg
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:13 AM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
My felt isn't really that thick
It isn't. I'd line as described by myself above with one layer and play with multiple layers on the back. It isn't really stiff enuff for friction fit... anyone in the family with tiny hands?

dave
Old 23rd July 2010, 02:21 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
play with multiple layers on the back... anyone in the family with tiny hands?
Sure, I've got plenty of those kind of people. Get them started on this hobby at an early age, I say. How about cutting a circle of felt and sticking it on the backplate of the FF85K magnet assembly? I do also have a very small amount of pretty thick polyester batting. It would be enough to cover just the back of the chamber.
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:21 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A magnet puck usually doesn't hurt.

dave
Old 25th July 2010, 08:37 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I want to fill the two triangular voids. I guess density is one of the key specifications here, but I'd also like to have something that is non-toxic, inexpensive, and biologically inert. I've seen people use kitty-litter, sand, cement, and lead shot. Lead has the highest density (~11g/cc, although shot would be lighter) but there's always the health concerns. Cement is about 3g/cc, but seems kinda messy. Dry sand is probably ~1.7g/cc, but I've heard that if it isn't really dry you're going to have problems. I think kitty litter (mostly clay) is probably the lowest density (~1g/cc?) but it's difficult to find good data due to the wide variety of types available.

I guess I'm leaning towards using kitty litter, mostly because I have cats and therefore always have a load of the stuff around. Any comments? Should I try to compact it down before I put on the last side?

Click the image to open in full size.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...E/P1100379.jpg

Last edited by Ty_Bower; 25th July 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 25th July 2010, 09:13 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I always use sand with no ill effects. The finer the sand the more dense it will be in terms of mass per volume. What "problems" have you heard of regarding sand? The only thing I can think of is not using enough glue to properly seal up that chamber forever and having it leak out. But then again that problem stems from shoddy construction....
Old 25th July 2010, 09:16 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italynstylion View Post
What "problems" have you heard of regarding sand?
Now that you mention it, I don't know exactly what happens with "bad" sand. I've read several warnings that the sand must be perfectly dry, or else. Some have recommended the use of "kiln-dried" sand, and advise you stay away from the common variety play sand.

I suppose that if it is left damp, some kind of mold or mildew might start to grow in it?
Old 25th July 2010, 09:18 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I like sand, but you do need to make sure it is dry. Very dry. Here, at least in the summer when it is very dry and hot, i pour the sand out on a tarp in the sun and keep stirring it around fro a while. It gets dry & hot. An oven works too.

The playground sand i start with is pretty dry to start with. There are also industrial sands you can get where dryness is a requirement.

dave
Old 25th July 2010, 09:21 PM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
Now that you mention it, I don't know exactly what happens with "bad" sand.
Bad sand has significant water in it (can still feel dry). Not a good thing to put in a box, particularily MDF. It also engenders growth of nasty stuff.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!